Platinum electrodes

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
ri
State/Location: NSW

Platinum electrodes

Post by ri »

Hi All,
can anyone advise me where I can purchase some decent sized platinum electrodes for our voltameter??
My favourite pair (size of platinumum foil is a huge 2cm x 0.5cm and produces the hydrogen & oxygen gases fast) is on their way out (the glass surrounding tubes are broken).
The other pair we have is a tiny 0.3cm x 0.2cm and takes forever to give enough gases for testing.
I would be very grateful..........
Cheers,
~Robyn
Trudy

Re: Platinum electrodes

Post by Trudy »

Hi Robyn,
I'm pretty sure I bought a pair of electrodes from Serrata a few years ago. Cost was nearly half the price of the whole Voltameter set up though. About $40 for each one. ouch!!

Good luck
Trudy
ri

Post by ri »

Thanks Trudy - I will follow that lead up.
From your estimation of the cost, I reckon I can retire on the platinum on our original pair!
Cheers,
~Robyn
rp

Post by rp »

Hi Robyn
Hows your horses going?
A few my friends are stuck at SIAC at horsely park and Warwick in Queensland for approx. 30 days.
Thank God my brat isnt riding competitively at the moment.
Regards Rhonda
ri

Post by ri »

Dear Rhonda,
thanks for thinking of me and I have replied (regarding horses) in another forum.
Regarding the platinum electrodes, we purchased new ones from Serrata which are generous in size, costing about $46 each but worth it as they are going well.
I am now using 1 molar sulfuric acid in the voltameter and with 6 volts on the transformer am getting a respectable amount of hydrogen and oxygen in about 7-10 minutes. Thanks to all for the valuable advice they forwarded.
Cheers,
~Robyn
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I don't know if this is of any value to you, but I just saw a new graduated voltameter for $145 ex GST in the Westlab catalogue, so if the platinum electrodes end up being too expensive it might be worth getting a whole new thing. It doesn't give details of size or production rate and I have no idea how it compares to other companies. I just saw it and thought of this thread.
Rosalie