DVD on Detection of contraband by Customs

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
sunray18
State/Location: NSW

DVD on Detection of contraband by Customs

Post by sunray18 »

In Earth & Environment, students are required to look at the methods of detection of contraband being imported into Australia and hwo successful those methods are.
I have been searching in all the usual DVD supplier catalogues but cannot find anything. I have even emailed Australian Customs to ask.
Does anyone have a DVD that covers this topic? I fyou do can you send me details so I can purchase one.
THANK YOU
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Re: DVD on Detection of contraband by Customs

Post by macca »

Sorry I can't help you out.

A little bit of trivia though, I import jewellery to sell at a local market (hobby) I was importing bracelets from one country on a regular basis, the parcels were forever being opened with a leaflet inside from customs saying that illegal substances were detected but upon opening found to be clear. Makes you wondering what they were doing when they were putting the beaded bracelets together. :cheesy:
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

what about back copies of "border security' it screens on channel 7, and repeats on foxtel.?
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Speaking as someone who used to work for Customs, training the pooches, "Border Patrol" is your best bet, because someone has already gone through all the 1,000,000 permissions required to film officers on duty. :?

And no, I can't give out details of how the dogs are trained. Sufficient to say that they don't feed babies to "tracker dogs" or bombs to "bomb dogs", and yet they find those respective things.

And frankly, having watched a dog detect TWO SEEDS out of 60,000 letters (not even exaggerating this time), I'd say dogs are almost THE most effective detection device, it's just that they have a finite beginning and end to their working life, and they're alive, so needs things like food, shelter etc.
Cheers, K 8-)
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

And no, I can't give out details of how the dogs are trained.
There was a really interesting doco (SBS I think) on the training of police sniffer dogs in the UK. It followed a dog and its hander through training and their final "exams", it was really interesting. Was on a while ago now though.
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Yes, it's all about permissions.