pickled brains

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
rosiegbh
Job Title: SAO/Lab Assistant
School: Wyndham College
Suburb: Quakers Hill
State/Location: NSW

pickled brains

Post by rosiegbh »

Hi all,
hope you are having a good day :D I need a recipe for pickled brains for a Bio dissection. I can't remember what quantities of what solutions are needed and I seem to have lost the recipe. This solution makes the brains firmer and easy to slice :yuck: Now what was I having for dinner?
Rosemary
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Re: pickled brains

Post by fibreweb »

I just pickled mine in metho for a couple of days. Ensuring that they were completely covered, and I changed the solution after a day because it looked grotty :yuck: and I felt it was needed.

They lasted for several weeks. The person that asked about them then took several weeks to get around to the disection. :crazy:

Wendy
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

I'm not sure where this came from - maybe an earlier thread on Chemtalk - but it might be what you need.

Fresh / freshly defrosted brains can be a bit mushy and somewhat difficult to dissect cleanly.
Here are some ideas for solving this problem:
1. Dissect the brain while still slightly frozen.
2. Defrost them the day before and keep them in the fridge, but 1 hour before use dry them in an incubator at about 50deg. This will firm them up slightly.
3. Soak for a couple of hours in ethanol or methylated spirits, just prior to use or overnight if needed first thing.
4. Use Saturated Salt solution as a fixative. This should be made up using tap water and stored at 40 C for 6 days. It is imperative that the brain's position in the fluid be altered and the fluid agitated on a daily basis as this will ensure good all-round fixation.
These fixative methods gives medium to good results especially when you consider the cost of the brains.

Carol
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

well done Carol, it was from a passed thread. I was do a search, could not find it, came back to chemtalk, and you had done it. Thanks
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
rosiegbh
Job Title: SAO/Lab Assistant
School: Wyndham College
Suburb: Quakers Hill

Post by rosiegbh »

Thanks for that I will look forward to attempting the process
Rosemary
Wayne
School: Mount Carmel College
Suburb: Sandy Bay
State/Location: TAS

Post by Wayne »

Just what I need! :D

Thanks Rosemary for starting the thread, and to the others that replied, saved me having to do a search.

Now I can share my wisdom with the teachers and make them all happy.