Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo
State/Location: NSW

Thymol Blue

Post by Mother »

Hi all Chemtalkers
I am preparing for a Chemistry Assessment for week 10.and have been asked to make dropper bottles of Thymol Blue as the students will be testing for weak and strong acids.We are only going to use this indicator once, and have read that you can now buy Thymol blue as a pre- mix solution!!!.Does anyone know about this and if so, where can I buy it???? Haven't seen it in any of my catalogues.Your help would be greatly appreciated.I don't have Thymol Blue in stock so would have order it anyway.Why mix it yourself if you can buy it already made up I say!!! Work smarter not harder!!! :wink2: :wink2:
Cheers
Mother
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Re: Thymol Blue

Post by rae »

DO you mean Bromothymol blue ?? If so I bought 3x100ml bottles of 0.1% bromothymol blue from Serrata recently.
Stock No: 1038844. Try their website.

Lorrae
judygee

Post by judygee »

I have purchased Thymol blue from Science Supply Australia (5g for approx $35) I notice you can also purchase from Q stores for around $45 I am unaware of a prepared solution, I think it is one of those indicators you need to freshly prepare each time. Hope this helps. Judy.
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Sorry I'd never heard of thymol blue before. You certainly learn something new everyday in this job!!

Lorrae
Mother

Post by Mother »

Hi again
For all of you who are interested, I have tracked down the Thymol Blue in solution form from Serrata. Just waiting for some information via e-mail.
Take care
Mother
dime

Post by dime »

I bought 5g thymol blue years ago to make universal indicator, and it is still going. So it is a useful chemical to have in the cupboard, if you are thinking of getting it.
Mother

Post by Mother »

Hi all
Made enquiries to Serrata regarding the pre-mix Thymol Blue.It is not yet listed in any of the catalogues.Don't fall over in shock :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: but the price for 0.04% pure grade 500mls is $158.00 plus GST.Because it is an item that is not kept in stock it would take 4-5 weeks for delivery as it is not a usual stock item.I will be making my own solutions!!! Just have to buy the powder. It is very easy to make up.
Take care today
Mother