Training day offered by DET update

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah
State/Location: NSW

Training day offered by DET update

Post by estelle »

Hello,
There is another thread to this put up by Rosemary, but I noticed that 114 people had already looked at it, so I thought they may not look at it again and I think it is important to respond to Ric (DET) to support ongoing training days. (It's a bit long winded, sorry about that.)

This is the reply I got from Ric when I emailed to enquire if the training day was worthwhile getting funding to travel to Sydney if I had done a TAFE course in lab skills about 4 years ago before starting work in science here. I think we should note the part I highlighted about not offering the training again if we don’t take up the offer. So if enough lab assistants email about the course, even to say that we are interested but funding or travel restrictions don’t allow us to attend, then maybe the DET will look at other alternatives. We may also be able to get some input into getting course content that would be more relevant and helpful to the science assistants. I told him this was pretty much the first time I had seen any kind of training offered and I thought it was about time as an OH & S issue.

Hi Estelle
A confident lab assistant may not professionally benefit from the day especially if they were Tafe trained. The issue become one of networking and valuing the training offered. If people don’t take it up we won’t offer it again. Glen Sawle stuck his neck out to have Curriculum offer the training to SAS staff because strictly our core business is teachers only.

There is the new Working in Science manual and the training does look at some of this. There will be a section on the new prep-room associated with the Building better Schools upgrade.

I hope to offer some opportunity on the North Coast but it will depend on demand. The venue would probably end up around Coffs or Grafton though I will put out an expression of interest to see where the need was greatest. Ballina would be a possible venue if demand was there from the surrounding schools and I can find a host school.

Ric Morante
Senior Curriculum Adviser Science 7-12
Curriculum K-12 Directorate
richard.morante@det.nsw.edu.au

This was what I found about the course. online http://www.curriculumsupport.education. ... /index.htm
SAS Laboratory Assistant Support A three day workshop based on the newly released Job Skills for School Assistants working in Science and revisiting the Chemical Safety in Schools protocols 18 March, 25 March, 1 April (3 days) South Western Sydney
SAS Laboratory Assistant Support A two day workshop based on the newly released Job Skills for School Assistants working in Science and revisiting the Chemical Safety in Schools protocols 25-26 February Central Sydney
SAS Laboratory Assistant Support A two day workshop based on the newly released Job Skills for School Assistants working in Science and revisiting the Chemical Safety in Schools protocols 4-5 March Northern Sydney

Cheers Estelle
dime

Re: Training day offered by DET update

Post by dime »

Well done finding this training site. I wouldn't mind going to some training, as it has been a long time. But we all got the talk on day one, that training and development will be cut drastically, so I got the impression don't even bother asking - particularly being SAS.
Dee
Job Title: "Second in Charge"
School: Gosford Selective High School

Post by Dee »

Thats the problem isn't it - even if we wanted to attend, funding the day is the problem and I much prefer to go th St Mary's every year so don't even request other training.

Dee
Louise

Post by Louise »

Hi everyone in the Hunter /Cental coast.
I have also received an email from Ric Morante. The training he is providing will be coming to the Hunter Term 2 or 3. He will let me know early next week the propased dates and i will post it. You can also apply for the "Working In Science" workshop day at Tighes Hill Tafe 2nd March. Apply through Hunter/Central Coasst DET intranet. Go to Supporting Staff on the left hand side and follow the links to Courses on offer, half way down the page is the link to apply for the Science Course.
Louise :wink2: