rosiegbh
Job Title: SAO/Lab Assistant
School: Wyndham College
Suburb: Quakers Hill
State/Location: NSW

galvanic cells- metal strips

Post by rosiegbh »

Hi everyone,

I am trying to source metal strips for yr 12 galvanic cells prac. We did this in term 1 and struggled through with left over zinc etc plus trying to use electrodes which defeated the purpose. I have tried serrata but cant find small sheets of zinc, aluminium and tin. We already had copper sheets 150 x 150mm but would like to purchase the other metals this size as well.

Ta
Rosemary
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Re: galvanic cells- metal strips

Post by Lis »

I rang a local scrap metal/ recyclers and they said they had all sorts of metals, just need to ask if they have the particular one you are after, at the time. They charge by weight, may be worth a try
Lisa
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

I batted my eyelashes at a local sheet metal fabricators, and they cut me a bunch of strips from Aluminium, Copper, Zinc, Stainless steel, and even iron. Turns out he was an ex-student of our corresponding boys college. Trying local has always worked for me. If they say "No" you're no worse off than you were before you asked!

Cheers, K 8-)
Judy R
State/Location: QLD

Post by Judy R »

The Serrata catalogue has copper foil,zinc foil and lead foil listed.
This is what i have used and still use.The foil is listed under chemicals in the catalogue.
Hope this helps
rosiegbh
Job Title: SAO/Lab Assistant
School: Wyndham College
Suburb: Quakers Hill

Post by rosiegbh »

Thank you both for the info. I didn't think to look in the chemical section. Silly me! Now I just have to beg for money to buy them. Might have to be the next budget.

Rosemary
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

When I did this prac I put small piece of metal either side of a strip of filter paper with a plastic peg, then lowered filter paper strip into electrolyte solution.
Measure with digital multimeter ( High Impedence) does not drag voltage down to drive meter.