Standard Operating Porcedures

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Labtechie70
Suburb: Northern Beaches, Sydney
State/Location: NSW

Standard Operating Porcedures

Post by Labtechie70 »

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum, so Hi!
I would like to know if there is a standard format/layout that secondary schools should use for making up SOP's.
For example, our Head of Science wants us to compile SOP's for making up acid solutions, or toxic chemical
solutions etc. I look forward to your comments, thanks very much.

Regards
Labtechie70
dime

Re: Standard Operating Porcedures

Post by dime »

Hi there,
I am from a NSW Govt school, and as such use the Chemical Safety in Schools manuals and the Working in Science manual as my reference for SOP. These are obviously written by the Department and I guess should be followed. It would seem a lot of private schools also use the Chemical Safety in Schools manuals as well. I think they could be purchased, whereas ours was supplied. You wouldn't be bothered to write your own, I think, if you have these manuals. :D
Labtechie70
Suburb: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Post by Labtechie70 »

Thanks Dime, much appreciated.
Regards
Labtechie
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I have looked at the add for the Working in Science Book - but wonder if it really is worth worrying about.
IS it more than a basic handbook?
Does it have detailed SOP?
I am trying to organise some SOP for the diocesan schools here and do not want to recommend something that won't do the job..
Could someone please let me know what they think of this book.
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

what is this Sunray? I dont have the working in science book. I have my own draft doc for SOPs
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

This is a Dept Education book - out for State schools..
I don't have SOPs and asked the CSO if they had them, or a template, and they don't and suggested that a few of us in this diocese got together and wrote them for the whole Diocese... but i wondered if this book would do the job