Vic schools and GHS

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Vic schools and GHS

Post by mtg »

Just recieved LabLines and I'm confused by the article "Model Workplace Health and Safety Legislation". The Vic govt ..."will not sign up to the current proposal for harmonised legislation for occupational health and safety......." Further on it says ...."it will be interesting to see the impact that this decision has on the introduction of the GHS for classification and Labelling of chemicals..........".
So are Vics doing the GHS or not? Is OHand S a separate harmonised thing to the chemical one???
NSW seems so much more organised and consistant compared with Vic. We have no CSIS, but maybe the benefits are that Mad Physics Teachers can continue to amaze me!!! :-? (Or maybe I just have Flu' brain) Appreciate any clarification.
sunray18
State/Location: NSW

Re: Vic schools and GHS

Post by sunray18 »

I thought the States had no choice in this!
It is GLOBAL in that most countries have signed to comply and Australia has signed to comply.
It is a FEDERAl thing - and we have to follow it.. anyone else out there got any info about this?
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Re: Vic schools and GHS

Post by fibreweb »

This information may help.
I discovered it whislt organising a resume for my husband for a job in WA. My son at the Gold Mine Kalgoorlie altered WHS to OH & S on the draft resume as he had not heard of WHS, so I investigated and found that there were several states that had not yet signed off on the changes.

http://www.aigroup.com.au/ohs/nationalohsreview/

From what I understand GHS and WHS are 2 separate entities but obviously work together. GHS is about the labeling of chemicals which is obviously a part of WHS.

Wendy