A general discussion and Q & A forum.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Rusty Incubator

Post by RosalieM »

Hi Everyone :)
Sometime between now and last time I looked in the incubator, it has started to rust :( the screws in it are rusted and the shelves also have a significant amount of rust. Does anyone know why this would have happened (it has been closed - no access to moisture that I know of) and what can I do to stop it getting worse? Is it like a fridge where you are supposed to keep it open when it isn't in use?
Rosalie :)
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Re: Rusty Incubator

Post by macca »

Mine is really old and has a few rust spots, I usually keep the door slightly ajar and switched off when not in use, mainly because it sinks otherwise.
ri

Post by ri »

Hi Rosalie,
we had this problem after a couple of chemistry teachers decided to use the incubator and the oven for evaporating acids from something. A few stern words solved the problem.
I thought ovens and incubators were for evaporating water only?!?
~Robyn
dime

Post by dime »

Must say that it sounds like acid has been stored in or very close by to make that happen 8O
ellice
Job Title: Lab technician
School: The Illawarra Grammar School
Suburb: Figtree

Post by ellice »

I had this problem a few years ago. I cleaned up as best I could, then sprayed with WD40.
Cheers, Ellice. 8)
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Thanks, I don't think it has had acid in it... I cleaned it out and wiped it over with metho for now and WD40 sounds like a good idea for after this lot of plates have been through and finished with. There is still a lot of rust around the racks though :-(