quadruple beam balance JB311

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
novicegirl
State/Location: VIC

quadruple beam balance JB311

Post by novicegirl »

Can anyone tell me how or who would service these? I love these balances but the zero knobs are not working and out of 14 only 4 work successfully and out of 4 maybe only 1 zeros properly!!! I would love to see them back to there glory. Thanks lee. Im in country victoria.
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Re: quadruple beam balance JB311

Post by fibreweb »

You can fiddle with these and the triple beam balances yourselves sometimes to get them to zero properly.

With the quad beam balances with the hanging "thingy" if you look underneath the "thingy" you will see a plate that can be removed. Under there is an area where weight in the form of lead shot or similar can be added to help the balance zero.
With the triple beam balances the pan thing can be unscrewed exposing another space where extra weights can be added.

I like to postion the zero nob at about halfway so it can be turned up or down and then if the balance is below the zero line i put the lead shot into the tray on the hanging thingy until it balances at zero. This is the amount of lead shot I need to add to the compartment underneath.
If it is above the zero line I move the sliding things until it does balance, then using another set of scales remove that much wieght from the compartment. It is a bit fiddly but I have had good sucess with it.

You can purchase new zero nobs from some suppliers. One thing to remember is that the balances with there hanging things and the trays that go on them are not interchangable. It is better to number them all so tray no 1 goes with scale no 1 and hanging thing no 1.

I have been know to strap a small piece of lead foil to the zeroing end to get them balanced. Any thing to keep the ones we have in working order as they are an expensive item to replace.

WEndy
novicegirl
State/Location: VIC

Re: quadruple beam balance JB311

Post by novicegirl »

Thanks for your information wendy, will give it a go!