pkij
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Good Shepherd Catholic College
Suburb: Mount Isa
State/Location: QLD

insect collecting and killing

Post by pkij »

Hi

How do you usually kill the insects for senior biology students insect collection? I have been putting them in the freezer, but now I have come across using ethyl acetate in a killing jar. Any help would be most appreciated :thumbup:

thanks
Pilar
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Re: insect collecting and killing

Post by Slartibartfast »

A Killing jar. Usually in field work, insects are collected into a killing jar. Killing jars may be in any size but seldom need to be larger than a pint. Select a jar with a tight fitting lid. Killing jars can be made simply by adding a few strips of paper towels to a jar and then adding a few drops of ethyl acetate. Most nail polish remover has ethyl acetate as its main ingredient and can be used rather than specially ordering ethyl acetate. Some insects may kick off legs when dying using this method though.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
Alice
State/Location: WA

Post by Alice »

Hi

I use a killing jar. Use a jar with a screw cap lid. I put approx 2cm of Plaster of Paris in the bottom of the jar and let it set. To use, pour a small amount pf ethyl acetate (do this in fume hood) into the Plaster of Paris. The Plaster of Paris will absorb the ethyl acetate, then put filter paper or cotton wool over the Plaster of Paris and then the insect. Screw lid on on leave. The Plaster of Paris ensures that the insect will not get covered in ethyl acetate and go all yukky. The jar can be used repeatedly. Always open it in the fume hood.
Hope this helps.

Alice
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College
State/Location: WA

Post by dolphinscales »

Ohh i like the idea of the plaster of paris Alice - thanks for sharing that tip.
bindi
State/Location: NSW

Post by bindi »

I worked in an entomology lab and freezing was used to kill everything in adult stage from wasps to cockroaches.
But doesnt work well with soft bodied lavae eg caterpillers