Storage of metal stock

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Storage of metal stock

Post by Labbie »

Afternoon folks, We have been given as a gift, some metals, all different. We have never had a good stock of metals before, only what we use at the time. Can I safety store the metals in their class's with the chemcials in the chem store. Or must I store it away from the chemicals. We have appox about 20 large copper sheets, zinc sheet, lead sheet, and odd and ends. I realise Zinc is class 9 so that would be stored with the class 9 chemicals. Can some one please let me know????????

Thank you
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Re: Storage of metal stock

Post by Slartibartfast »

Our are stored with the NR - not a regulated dangerous good chemicals on the same shelves.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
cheltie
State/Location: NSW

Post by cheltie »

Hi Sue,
I have just checked this as our metals are stored with the NR chemicals too. According to the CSIS book zinc metal,lead and copper are all NR so can be stored in that section.
Hope that helps.
Helen
ellie
State/Location: ACT

Post by ellie »

Hi guys,
Ours are stored on a separate shelf in the chemical store, Known as the "metals shelf" . I have powdered metals in the NR dry chemicals alphabetically with the other chemicals and on the metals shelf are the turnings, filings, foils, in their metal group and sheets standing up at one side. They are on the opposite side of the store to the acids.

Ellie
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College
State/Location: WA

Post by dolphinscales »

We are the same Ellie