Hazardous registers

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong
State/Location: NSW

Hazardous registers

Post by Kathryn »

Hello :D

For those of you who do inventories for the whole school, how are you dealing with your hazardous register now we are using GHS. I have found many products which have previously been listed as non-hazardous, non-dangerous, now have a GHS warning. eg: acrylic paint as found in the maintenence shed. Because there are so many tins there, I have previously printed one general SDS to cover all of them. However, just looking up 2 randomly on Chemfxx today I find one has a Warning due to possible respiratory effects and the other Danger serious eye damage. They are both still listed as non hazardous and non-dangerous and for the 2nd one the manufacturers SDS is from 2009 so doesnt have any wanrings!
So my question is, do we have to include items like these on our hazardous register because of their GHS category? I am not finding many things which don't have at least a warning.
Hope someone can help me??
Kathryn :unsure:
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: Hazardous registers

Post by Labbie »

Stay with the CSIS, that is our law, GHS is new, and Alan Smith is looking into a new CSIS, along with the GHS.

So for now stay with the CSIS. Perhaps not much help, but that is what we are told.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
MariaC
School: Central Coast Grammar School
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by MariaC »

A new CSIS, Ive been hearing that for years! Can it really be that hard, most of it is fine, its only the chemicals that have changed class, and new GHS storage rules that need up dating.

MariaC
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

A few chemical will be banned, also a few school during edit etc, have been doing things a little different, (So we are told) so more guide lines for the new people. Do not think storage has changed from the current CSIS, I update my CSIS book, as the chemicals change class on chemwatch.
Any way I am sure Alan smith how help't with the old one, will get it all done, soon. It was only put out in Jan 2012 that a new CSIS was coming, so it has not even been a year.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub: