A question out of left field

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
cecmel
State/Location: ACT

A question out of left field

Post by cecmel »

One of my favourite teachers recently took a group of our top Yr 10s to ANU, where they were able to work in a "real" lab. One of the pracs they saw was "making icecream using liquid nitrogen", and of course, one of the boys has since come up with a vaguely related question - "What would happen if you added liquid nitrogen to conc HCl? Would there be a reaction, or would the HCl freeze?" The teacher concerned has done a web search, but so far has come up blank, so she suggested that I ask "your labbie network".[Isn't that nice - a teacher who recognises that labbies "know stuff". :-) ] SO.... does anyone out there have any idea what might happen, as I haven't got a clue :-(

As an aside, apparently there was a pretty graphic poster of eye damage on display as the kids entered the lab. Made them go "yuk", but then they put the safety glasses on, and they STAYED ON the whole time they were in the lab! We're going to hunt for the poster for here - anything to get all the kids safety aware!

Cheers
C
MariaC
School: Central Coast Grammar School
Suburb: Erina Heights
State/Location: NSW

Re: A question out of left field

Post by MariaC »

:D Hi theres a fairly good poster of chemical burns to the human eye on our site, you have to go to staff tearoom forum, then "I didnt think we had too!" post if you scroll down you will find lots of safety posters then one called human eye or similiar, I used it in my last school to try to scare them to wear their safety googles :-| not sure that it worked but at least we tried!
MariaC
sampjm
School: Mount Annan Christian College
Suburb: Mount Annan

Post by sampjm »

On asking our senior school chem/physics teacher, he said to state it simly that it will simply freeze.
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

BEST best best thing for demonstration of proper use of safety equipment is a short clip from "Fight Club" where Brad Pitt (I think) pins a guy down, pours Sodium Hydroxide on the back of his hand and it fizzes and turns to "soap" - very graphic. 8O Then you stop the clip, and say "Now class, did you see that Brad wore his gloves and safety glasses the whole time?" Then you do the soap making prac. It's a guarantee that not one of the preciouses forgets his safety gear. :thumbup:
Cheers, K 8-)
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I searched for the eye injury poster it but couldnt find
rosiegbh
Job Title: SAO/Lab Assistant
School: Wyndham College
Suburb: Quakers Hill

Post by rosiegbh »

Hi, if you go to macca's post in "I didn't think they needed to" under the board index it is there :D

Rosemary