Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Change in Class for Copper sulfate

Post by Labbie »

Name: Jasmina
School: St Andrews College
Suburb: Marayong
According to Chem. Watch Copper sulfate is now Dg 6 not 9. I call them they said they will check and e-mail me. Still waiting :popcorn:
Anyone has Heinemann teacher resources book or CD that can spare. I really do need one URGENTLY

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: Change in Class for Copper sulfate

Post by Labbie »

Hi Jazz, any news from chemwatch yet? on this class of copper sulfate.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
SGG

Copper Sulfate DG 6 or 9?

Post by SGG »

Just adding to what Jazz said in the Sulfuric Acid post.
Copper Sulfate is DG 6 on the online Chemwatch (Gold) when I looked today. I also have the Chemwatch (Blue) discs and it was DG 9 on the 2009/2 disk! 8O But.....I use the manufacturers MSDS and it was updated May 2009 (ChemSupply) and it was still DG 9. Who's right??? :cry2:
Regards
Sue G
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Hi
I just checked the Chemwatch DVDs it's listed as DG 6.
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

I just got a new quantity of copper (ll) sulfate in stock.The container has a diamond with the wording "miscellaneous dangerous goods 9" and an accompanying triangle with "marine pollutant" and a drawing of a fish with a big X through it. Seems to be pretty much up to date.
Lyn.
Robdean
School: Lismore High School
Suburb: Lismore

Post by Robdean »

I'm a bit confused here. When I look at the Chemwatch site (link as supplied by the det) I still find copper sulfate listed as DG 9. Where are you looking to see it as DG6? It's also DG9 on the label of a newly purchased container.
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College
State/Location: WA

Post by dolphinscales »

I have two different companies of manufacture for my copper sulfate - one states it is still a dimond 9 but the other states it is now toxic -lol. i have left it as a dimond 9 myself but also have put a toxic dimond on it.

we do not use chemwatch here in WA so we have to have copies of the msds from each manufacturer of the chemical. so in this case i have 2 for copper sulfate one for each of the chemical companies.

I figure it is my call when there is no set guidlines or the ones in place are fuzzy. I have written my justification of leaving it in the micellaneous section and left with the MSDS should i not be here or have moved on should we be audited (so the in coming labbie has some idea of my logic until they sort it out for themselves:) )

it can be a bit over whelming at times the changes that happen. I meanhow cansoem thing be hazardous one minute but not the next???
SGG

Post by SGG »

Hi Robdean
On Chemwatch (online) the Copper II Sulfate pentahydrate has changed to DG 6.1 but the Copper Sulfate basic and tribasic has stayed at DG 9. :? I use the manufacturers MSDS which is DG 9 but at least I have only one maufacturer for this chemical (I have up to 4 of some others!) If you have to make a choice -write down your reasons. That's all we can do. :)
Regards
Sue