Spotting Plates

for anything else that doesn't fit.
birdie
State/Location: NSW

Spotting Plates

Post by birdie »

Hi All,
Would anybody be able to tell me where I could purchase Clear Glass Spotting Plates(used to check for precipitations).Crown does have @$32 each with min of 18 purchased.To pricey.We do have plastic and porcelain ones,but clear ones,not necessary glass.
Thanking you in anticipation.
Gail
Robdean
School: Lismore High School
Suburb: Lismore

Re: Spotting Plates

Post by Robdean »

We use sheets of acetate with grids copied onto them. They are cheap to replace. Students just use drops of chemical and if the sheets are placed over black card (or a white tile) ppts are easily seen and then just rinsed off at the end of the prac. They are used by juniors and seniors. Our meagre budget here doesn't stretch to buying spotting plates. Maybe this will help you!
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Hi Gail

Ours are like the paint trays you get kiddy paints in , you know the solid type, but they havent had paint in them, they came from a craft shop, about 25cm x 10cm and have 10 'wells'. They are meant for mixing craft paints I think, but they work well, and the teachers are happy with them, and not expensive.

cheers
Lisa
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

Post by kimmy »

we use white paint trays with 10 and 12 holes in them which we purchased from Qstores quiet some time ago. They work fine for many differnt experiments throughout the year and are very cheap. hope this is of some help to you. :thumbup:

Kimmy
dime

Post by dime »

We use clear plastic spotting plates with 68 wells. Pack 10 are $22.25 from Q Stores. 1972359
cecmel
State/Location: ACT

Post by cecmel »

I drew grids on black card, then laminated. Easy to use, clean, store. Depending on the grid size you want, you should get 2 to 4 to an A4 laminate sheet. Don't forget to leave a clear zone round each card, or else they'll peel apart at the first wash! :-?