Saturated solutions

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
dime
State/Location: NSW

Saturated solutions

Post by dime »

Could someone please enlighten me on how much solid chemical it takes to make a saturated solution. I know it is different for each chemical, but is it to do with the atomic weight blah blah? I have always "winged" it but I would like to know if there is a formula. Thanks folks
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Re: Saturated solutions

Post by Ocker »

Find a Chemical Data book and look it up if you have any trouble ask Chem teacher or if you want to appear smart, come back here and we will lead you through it.
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

I don't know if there is a formula. I had the thought that they all vary.

I always look in my "SI Data" book that has has the formula, molecular weight, soluability information, (and a whole lot of other too technical data for me) for almost all the chemicals we use.

It sits on my bookshelves along side "The Laboratory"

Wendy
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

If you have that fantastic book "The Laboratory" on pages 11-25 there is a table which includes solubility and then on page
37 there is a table with common saturated solutions.

If you don't have this book I'll be happy to photo copy and fax these pages to you.

Lorrae
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

If I'm asked for a saturated solution of something I just keep adding until it stops dissolving.
kitty kat

Post by kitty kat »

HI
saturated sol is when now more of the solid will disolve into the liquid. I just add solid untill it will not desolve any more.
dime

Post by dime »

Hi Lorrae
I don't have the book you all seem to quote from, so I would appreciate the copies of the pages 11-25 and 37 if at all possible. The fax number is 6742 4429 attention Darelle. :D Thank you very much. By the way, where is Burradoo? I have wondered each time I have seen the name, and can't recall having been there or through it. Ta again.
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Hi Darelle,

I'll do that for you now.

Burradoo is basically a "suburb" south of Bowral on the road between Bowral and Moss Vale, which is in the Southern highlands of NSW, south of Sydney.

Lorrae
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Hi Rae
Wow! you live in paradise, I have dreams of retiring down that way, even if it does get a little chilly in winter!
dime

Post by dime »

Hi Lorrae
Thank you for your fax, all received. Looking forward to "digesting" it. It certainly seems Burradoo is in a great spot, I get sick of the heat and would like to experience the four seasons again as we don't get much autumn here. Oh well.
Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate your efforts. :D