insect collections

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College
State/Location: WA

insect collections

Post by dolphinscales »

Hello labbie land

Anyone out there got an insect collection - that is an embedded one?

If so where did you get it please.... kinda tired of all these broken and poorly looked after items i have here (were old and eaten before i got here) and thought an embedded set would be good.

I have looked at southern biological where i know they do a lot of embedded specimens but I am uabel to find insects.

Any help, in advanced, I Thank you
ri
State/Location: NSW

Re: insect collections

Post by ri »

Hi Annette,
try the insect Plastomounts of Serrata
~Robyn
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Post by Voice »

Annette,
I have a very old set of embedded specimens, 15+ years, that look like new. They are expensive but obviously last through time. They have 2 resin blocks embedded with insects. These insects are: Spider, Pseudoscorpian, Scorpian, Tick, Millipede, Sow Bug, Termite, Damsel Fly, Lace Wing, Earwig, Fly, True Bug, Grasshopper, Beetle, Caddis Fly, Scorpian Fly, Leaf Hopper, Honeybee. Now, some, we might not consider true insects but they are under Arthopoda so I thought I would put them in. I don't know if this is any help. If you bought the whole set, excellent by the way, your are looking at $1000.
Good Luck
Maree
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Check out the Australian Insect Farm in Garradunga, which is near Innisfail in Far North Qld. They do insect taxidermy, displays etc, and they also do great live insect kits for the classroom! You can get some really great speciments like hairy beetles, stick insects etc.

Cheers, K 8-)
dolphinscales

Post by dolphinscales »

WOW thanks ladies cool stuff
bindi
State/Location: NSW

Post by bindi »

Years ago Sydney Tech at Ultimo had a specimen preservation class. I remember making the resin blocks and polishing them by using decreasing grades of sandpaper and finely toothpaste (fine abrasive).
If you have time have a go or maybe Ive jogged someones memory!
dolphinscales

Post by dolphinscales »

Thanks for the idea but no i will stree clear from making them myself - too much trouble really for our needs.

thanks for the thought though
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Annette, Try Omega Scientific in South Australia. I've just checked the Science Equipment Scheme catalogue and there is a range of biological specimens mounted in plastic blocks. One block is listed as having ten insect specimens. Price is about the $50 mark and that includes GST. It might be what your looking for.
Lyn.