MSDS

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
labman
State/Location: SA

Re: MSDS

Post by labman »

Teresa,
In South Australia, we have a system that I think used to be used interstate, where the Dept. of Education sends out a Chemwatch c.d every year, and the school loads it on the computer. It's not brilliant, but it serves the purpose. I have tried to access Chemgold since reading about it on this site, but it is not available outside of N.S.W.(I think) Does your education dept. supply you with anything?
Cheers,
Lisa
SGG
State/Location: NSW

Post by SGG »

Hi everyone
Just going through the updating process as well as most of the MSDS are 10 years old!(I only started at the school last year). I started updating in May 2007 but only got through the A's and when I looked at them again this year a few had been reissued!
I heard on the email grapevine that we should have a copy of the hazardous chemical MSDS in the "front office" area where the Fire Brigade could access them. When I rang the local fire brigade I was put through to the Hazmat section and they said, "Yes" they wanted the FULL MSDS at the front where the first responding fire brigade unit could get to them easily!This gave me leaverage to get the job done quickly so I got paid an extra day (I work Mon - Thurs) to just do the hazardous MSDS reports. In one day I got 95% done. :D . Then my HT had the bright idea of having the office photocopy them for the prep copy- so now all I have is the non hazardous ones and the back of the job is broken.
I don't know about really liking Chemwatch (they are sending me emails all the time trying to sell something) but its useful- most of the time.
Regards
Sue G
Teresa
State/Location: WA

Post by Teresa »

Thank you for your replies.
In WA the Regional Technician's Group in the DET arrange a CD with MSDSs, as well as the labelling and associated risk assessments. It is all a lot of work for them and appreciated by all.
As the MSDSs need to be manufacturer specific I usually go to the Chem Supply or APS website and download them direct. When you get uniterrupted time it doesn't always take that long. I usually update in term 4 when there are fewer pracs, however last year a lot of them were dated December 2002, and weren't updated til December or January. It is a bit hard to print off if they are not available. I would then make a note that I tried to access on a certain date and that an updated MSDS wasn't available. From time to time it is difficult to access the APS MSDSs (sounds like a foreign language!) THere has been talk about a subscription etc. I also have a few chemicals from some more obscure suppliers.
Therefore I wondered how expensive Chemwatch is, that would do all of that work for me??? I guess I would still have to put some work in.

Does any one know the cost of Chemwatch?
Regards
Teresa
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

When I asked last year about Chemwatch, I was told $80.00 for the year, they send out disc, that your IT man put onto the computer, and you register with chemwatch, as you put your chemical register onto chemwatch, it alerts you the the chemcial you have that have changed. Which would cut a lot of work down. We have yet to join chemwatch ourshelves, but I think it is a great idea.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Teresa

Post by Teresa »

Thank you very much Sue, for letting me know the cost.
I was curious to see how much and didn't know if groups of schools got a special rate.
It is so nice to be able to be in touch with you all!
Regards
Teresa
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

This may help with the thread Colours of MSDS
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
debbec

Post by debbec »

Hi all
for any one that uses chemwatch,they now have quite a lot of aldi brand products on their data base . This is handy as you can access the MSDS and the mini MSDS in chemwatch format. Most products can be found under ALDI but others go by different names so I would use the chemwatch numbers to look for the products.They are on the online chemwatch at the moment but they should go on the CD when they update it.
These are the chemwatch numbers
16-2506 to 16-2514 (incl)
16-2497 to 16-2505 (incl)
15-8871 to 15-8877 (incl)
Hope this is useful
Debbie
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Hi All
Remember Chemwatch is for Industry and the Dept has paid to use it in NSW.
So somethings will be different for us as it is a guide.
When you order a chemical you should get and MSDS with it .
for the Labbies inter state you could try our web site the address is
detwww.detnsw.edu.au/chemwatch you can give it a try and let me know if it works.
Noona
souj

Post by souj »

No- it doesn't work. :-(
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

Now, the requirement to reprint an MSDS when ever there is a change must surely be a joke.

My school decided that the MSDS's used in class should be printed out in full technicolor on our colour laser printer and laminated so that they can be taken into the class. On 6th March, 2008 I duly printed an MSDS for Ethanol with an issue date of 21st Feb 2008. Very good, nice and current. "Should not have to reprint that four a couple of years" thinks I. Yesterday I noticed that the current (mini) MSDS for Ethanol was issued on 4th April, 2008, so the issue that I have on file only lasted for 6 weeks before it was changed!

I certainly hope that I do not have to check all 200 (or so) of my MSDS's every 6 weeks!!

Cheers
Ian
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Post by Voice »

All Victorian State schools have their own access to Chemwatch. The government pays for it. I don't know if the private or religious schools have to pay for its use separately.
Maree