my agar looks cloudy

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
mikah
State/Location: NSW

my agar looks cloudy

Post by mikah »

If anyone could help I would appreciate it- my agar plates looks cloudy. I can see tiny particles suspended

I am using
2g vegemite
1g bonox
5g NaCl
5g peptone
15g agar
as per previous lab tech recipe
mix on magnetic stirrer on heat then pressure cook for 15min in conical flask

Q- am I meant to let it boil until it looks clear or does it stay cloudy?

I'm clueless..... :-(
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Re: my agar looks cloudy

Post by J »

I'm thinking it will be a bit cloudy with those ingredients in it. Not clear but clearISH? That's my best guess. :crazy:
J
dime

Post by dime »

Is it plain agar? As in agar agar. There are malt dextrose and other sorts of agar that may not go clear when cooked. It would cook properly in the pressure cooker for 15mins.
Have you considered using the nutrient agar? Even with the nutrients it goes clear although golden in colour. It is much easier to prepare although more expensive to buy. I just mix the powder with a little cold water and add boiling water from the kettle. I only use the pressure cooker now for seniors stuff, although I really don't think it makes a difference. And this is after 20 years of using the pressure cooker method.
Even though your agar is cloudy it will still grow stuff so don't worry for this time.
Have a search for agar plates on this site, as there is plenty of good advice.
Graham Kemp
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St John's School
Suburb: Roma
State/Location: QLD

Post by Graham Kemp »

mikah wrote:If anyone could help I would appreciate it- my agar plates looks cloudy. I can see tiny particles suspended

I am using
2g vegemite
1g bonox
5g NaCl
5g peptone
15g agar
as per previous lab tech recipe
mix on magnetic stirrer on heat then pressure cook for 15min in conical flask

Q- am I meant to let it boil until it looks clear or does it stay cloudy?

I'm clueless..... :-(
Experiment with the recipe until you get it right for you. Depending on climate you may need more than 15g of agar to get it to set (here in Central Queensland in summer I use 25g; expensive but it just won't gel otherwise).

Start with 800mL (for a final solution of 1000mL) of water. Begin to heat and add the agar while stirring. Be thorough.

The solution should be cloudy yellow at this point. Continue stirring and bring it to near boiling until it starts to go clear. It should turn somewhat translucent. When you can see a stirring rod held in the middle of the beaker, that's the sign your agar has properly dispersed through the solution and will gel when cool. (If you don't stir, the precipitate near the bottom will burn.)

Add salt, then peptone, and the extracts in turn. When they are mixed in, dilute to target volume, and place in conical flasks with cotton plugs to autoclave for 15 minutes. Then let cool to around 60 C and pour. (Or store in the fridge until needed.)
mikah

Post by mikah »

Thanks for the replies
the first batch looks transluscent but the story goes downhill from there....

maybe I didnt leave it long enough to dissolve properly or overcooked it?

still got plenty more to do so it will be trial and error as suggested, I'm in a new school so I hope this isn't a deal breaker :oops:
mikah

Post by mikah »

I unplated it and put back in the pressure cooker and when I re plated they are great so I guess it was "undercooked"

Thank you Graham for the 60 C. I was trying to pour it when it was cooler, like body temp