Gas Taps

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
lab-woman
State/Location: NSW

Gas Taps

Post by lab-woman »

Hi everyone,

Just wondering how we go about cleaning the gas taps in the labs. Do we get someone in to clean them out, or do we do it ourselves and if so, how?

Thanks
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Re: Gas Taps

Post by Rowyrow »

We had a few blocked ones (little darlings shovinf stuff in them)so we had a plumber come in a clean them out. I wouldn't have a clue how to go about cleaning them. I wipe the actual taps over with a damp cloth but thats all im prepared to do.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

our maintenance crew do ours when I request it. If it is beyond them then they call in a 'professional'.
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Get maintenance to get someone in to do it. Someone is usually a plumber who is gas certified. That way you get all your gas taps checked thoroughly and if any need replacing it can be done at the same time. They will also check the pressure in your lines to make sure everything is functioning correctly. Don't do it yourself. It's not your job.
Lyn.
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

90% of the time it's matches shoved up the outlet I have a mounted needle that I have bent the end on and can usually hook foreign bodies out.
A goon test is to get a beaker of soapy water and with a small paint brush slosh over tap, if any bubbles appear round the stem you have a gas leak and it's time to call groundsman.
Sorry that is good test not goon :cheesy:
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

I use a hand drill to remove blockages in our taps. Works a treat for getting out blutack, erasers, balled up paper etc. Anything else I call the maintenance man in.
Lou P.
Learner Lab Technician
Wagga Wagga
NSW
cactus155
Job Title: Senior Laboratory Guru
School: Bayview Secondary College
Suburb: Rokeby
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

What is gas?

Oh that is right it is the stuff that has not worked correctly since we moved back into brand new labs in November last year, the teachers absolutely love it when I say the gas is working because I tested and they come to use it and it does not work
aude
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Maitland

Post by aude »

I use a probe or a drill to clean out the nozzle, and if unsuccessful unscew the gas cock so to get at it from the other end. You must be carefull not to shove whats blocking the gas cock, further into the gas line. If then unsuccessful I get the maintenance man or plumber in.
dime

Post by dime »

About 10 years ago, I had a teacher who would bring in his drill and drill out the gas taps once a year. Only thing was, he used to do it with the gas ON, so anything in there would fly out instead of going further down. You guessed it, he singed his arm a few times, when he inadvertently lit up the gas tap with a spark he'd generated. :clap3: