Upper high school equipment wish list

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Jen1
School: Halls Head Community College
State/Location: WA

Upper high school equipment wish list

Post by Jen1 »

After being a middle school (year 8,9 and 10) for ten years, we are finally moving to upper school next year and offering Human Biology and Chemistry for year 11. :clap3: :clap3: :clap3: :clap3:
Could anyone please help and let me know what sort of special equipment we will need to run these two courses that we probably dont have already for middle school?
Thanks very much
Jen
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant
State/Location: NSW

Re: Upper high school equipment wish list

Post by Ocker »

Do you have a class set of good Microscopes?
How many fume cabinets do you have? you should have that many Quickfit distilling/reflux set-ups and heating mantles, get a tame teacher to go through syllabus and make up a chem list then see what you have.
Jen1
School: Halls Head Community College
State/Location: WA

Post by Jen1 »

Thanks Ocker,
we have microscopes but only distillation equipment for one demonstation set up. I'm not sure what heating mantles are?? I think we will buy our chemicals as we go along as delivery is usually pretty quick. I hadnt thought about a fume cupboard. I have one in my prep room which the students can look through from the other side but are not able to use it themselves. Do year 11 and 12 students use fume cupboards themselves much?
any more suggestions eagerly accepted.
jen
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Yes for all pracs using organics
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Data loggers with pH probes and temp probes.
Spirit lamps
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree

Post by trish armstrong »

I would add a good set of molecular model kits for them, as well as good glass measuring cylinders, volumetric flasks. and water bottles(juniors seem to destroy them here)
25ml Pipettes and bulbs, check that you have all the equipment for titrations.... :D :D
Trish
cosmo
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
State/Location: VIC

Post by cosmo »

We purchased 4 good balances this year (max 400g/readability 0.01g), and these have been invaluable for the senior classes :thumbup:
cheers
Kate
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

In addition to what Ocker said:
We have senior molymod kits, and have just bought a BRIGHT atom model kit [southern biological].
50mL burettes, 250mL and 100mL volumetric flasks, and a few 500mL,1L and 2L volumetric flasks.We use hotplates, not bunsens , and have one stirrer hotplate [mine in prep room] and a magnetic stirrer unit.
we use heaps of the plastic disposable specimen jars,and the disposable plastic 3mL pipettes.
Data Loggers are essential - with sensors of temp,pH, light intenstiy, sound, geiger-muller, drop and bublle counter..
a stock of plastic storage containers 1L and 2L and staff here like the schott bottles with the blue screw lids..250mL and 500mL...
We have DNA Models - 2D and 3D, RNA 2D, amino acid 3D, and various carbon molecular models.
expensive to set up I know - but sometimes if youa re buying a lot of equipment, places will give you an extra discount
Good luck