Flammables Cabinet

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Flammables Cabinet

Post by Rowyrow »

Question : If I have a locking flammables cabinet do I have to store it in my chemical store room? As I mentioned earlier I am having mine vented but have been asked if it can be moved out of the chemstore so that there is more room for the pipe work. I have no idea I guess It shouldn't be a problem as long as I have the space in my prep room? Any help?
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Re: Flammables Cabinet

Post by Lyn »

I have a small flammables cupboard and a small corrosives cupboard under the bench of my prep room in the middle school. They each have an extraction system set up to remove any smell or vapours. It seems to do its job but I have very few organics stored in the flammables cupboard. In the senior school the flammables are right away from my work area. They have their own separate room for storage which will hopefully be upgraded with the cupboards fully vented with proper extraction systems. I've mentioned elsewhere on this site about having the flammables and organics and corrosives in my prep room and being sick for at least eighteen months before they removed the cupboards from the prep room. I was far healthier once they were removed. My advice would be to say no to having it in your prep room especially if you are storing a number of chemicals used for senior classes.
Lyn.
dime
State/Location: NSW

Post by dime »

We have just had a new chemical storeroom built and the flammables cupboard is in it. There is an extractor fan system for the whole room, not just the flammables cupboard. I will also be storing equipment in there as it is too large a room for just chemicals. I would also say no to having it in your preproom. It is ok to have a small quantity in your preproom but not your bulk storage.
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo
State/Location: NSW

Post by rae »

Dime please help me.

Who built you new chemical storeroom and what is the shelving made of??
We need to reshelve ours !!

Ta
Lorrae