Finding Items in Officemax

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Robdean
School: Lismore High School
Suburb: Lismore
State/Location: NSW

Finding Items in Officemax

Post by Robdean »

Have been looking at items we need in the Officemax site and have had some difficulty finding exactly what I want . For example if I type in themometer, none of the items on offer are spirit thermometers -10 - 110deg, only mercury, for $6, which I won't issue to juniors. By chance I typed in immersion (fluke really) and came up with a-20 -110deg low toxicity thermometer but for $9 which is more like I need. Anyone else had trouble searching for items? I thought spirit thermometers would be easy to come by!! Plus how come the other thermometer didn't come up when I typed in "thermometer" anyway? How do you fluke on just the right description to find the items you want?? Found the old way of looking up a printed catalogue with pictures much easier and less time consuming!
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Re: Finding Items in Officemax

Post by Ian »

Hi Robyn,
You scared me! I went to my "Office Max" printed catalogue and could not find ANY section for Science Equipment, but then had a rummage through the other catalogues on my bookshelf and found that last year, (April 2009) I had been sent an Office Max "Science Catalogue" by Diane Mytilinios in the Customer Service dept of Office Max. The phone number that she has supplied is 8732 0522. The catalogue looks to be "Home Printed" on a colour ink jet or perhaps a colour Laser printer and bound with a "Finger spine" type binder like most school would have, but it does have Immersion Thermometers WITH PICTURES (!!!) and even lists CORK STOPPERS (as opposed to the more common rubber ones)

The catalog comes with a Computer CD which has the same catalog as a PDF file (and a tacky paper label on it- I prefer Inkjet printed labels! I am afraid that paper labels will fall off in my CD drive)

Anyway, why don't you give Diane a ring. She might be able to help you out.

Cheers

Ian :)
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Yes I spent 4 hours over the holidays, trying to use that DET PRocurement site, which is now Officemax and Corporate express all rounded into one. Try finding matches, they do not have them. Broad beens, No Distilled water No, and the search engine is of NO help at all.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

they have a picture of an evapourating dish under the heading of measuring cylinder. :cheesy: :cheesy: I'm glad I still have the freedome to use what ever supplier I want :clap3: :coffee:
Robdean
School: Lismore High School
Suburb: Lismore

Post by Robdean »

Thanks for the feedback - so it's not just me having difficulty finding what I want! At the moment I still am able to order elsewhere , though our Office staff seem to like Officemax. Not as easy for Science I guess. Just on the prices, why should I pay $9 for a themometer from Officemax when I can pay $3.63 according to the latest Livingstone catalogue and buy 9 get one free!! Surely I'm meant to save money especially when our budget is so low!
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

Thats the really silly thing - office max prices a slightly higher than if I was to go to Big W for eg. Contact or balloons or blu tak foam cups, all the consumables that we use a lot....we are on strict budgets so whuy can't we shop around?
I have been using petty cash to purchase small amounts to save the budget...
If 'they' want us to use Max, then more $$ should be alloccated in the budget..
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I don't want to sound like I am defending anyone, but perhaps the office people like officemax because they dont charge freight? I think it is silly when you can't shop around - especially when you can buy it at the local supermarket!
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College
State/Location: WA

Post by dolphinscales »

I agree their site is not user friendly - if you know the cat numbers it is a treat if not - grrr time wasting in my opinion.

i get a hard copy sent to me each year of the cat and get the numebrs i need from there and then go to the order section and order that way - not as time consuimg trust me :)
matchstick
Job Title: School Admin.Assistant
School: Strathfield South Public School
Suburb: Strathfield

Post by matchstick »

hello all
you have to be careful of the catalouge...the prices are different to smart buy......so for all my science equipment I go to science supply australia directly.They are the suppliers for officemax
matchstick