SNAKE TRAP

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah
State/Location: NSW

SNAKE TRAP

Post by estelle »

Hi,
This is a bit left field but does anyone know how to make a snake trap? Another eastern brown snake is making its appearance for the season out the back door of my lab. It is in an area that is used by staff and students not regularly but I don't want the chance of someone running past it and scaring it into biting them.
It was sunning itself yesterday and a vehicle came up the lane, I happened to see the snake do a huge flip and it couldn't get down its hole quick enough it got such a fright. I wouldn't like to think what it might do if someone scares it and is between it and the hole.
So if anyone has a design that they know works I would appreciate it. I have done a search to see if we could hire one but the only ones I saw were in America.
Thanks
Estelle
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Re: SNAKE TRAP

Post by Loopy »

That's a different type of request Estelle. Can't help you there unfortunately. But hope you have a Happy Birthday!!!
Lou P.
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

Call in a professional!!!!!Don't try catch it yourself!!!!
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Call WIRES or National Parks.
They should deal with it for you.

J
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

I think this topic should be under

DANGER MONEY!!

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Hey Estelle!

Road trip! I'd come down and get it for you, but the season might be over before I get there. :w00t:

My daughter and I are into catching snakes but I won't let her go beyond night tigers at the moment.

Seriously, traps can simply aggravate them. Snakes are long, slinky and clever, so traps are hard to set and hard to keep them in, unless you're thinking rat trap - kinda terminal really.

Go with the WIRES option.
Cheers, K 8-)
bindibadgi
Suburb: Kensington Park
State/Location: SA

Post by bindibadgi »

Sheesh!!
The most dangerous thing I have to deal with (apart from teachers of course :whistling2: ) is the occasional magpie swooping in summer!

Be careful Estelle.

Kiah
bindibadgi
RosalieM
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Yep, I'm with the others. Ring WIRES and tell them it's there. Try to get a mobile number for someone who will be able to come when you next see the snake out. No point having to wait several hours for someone to turn up. I'm pretty sure it's a free service. Heaps easier than trying to set a trap!
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

Let us know how it goes Estelle!

Shivering......snakes..... 8O
estelle

Post by estelle »

Here is a picture (hopefully) of my neighbour. I took the photo with an extra lens on my camera so I didn't have to get close to it.
Estelle
P.S. Have contacted Parks and Wildlife for a phone number for a catcher.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

hmm nice picture made my skin go all creepy crawlie like!!!. I use to work with non venomous snakes and loved it they are such beautiful animals, but the bitey one's make my skin crawl :? 8-[ Definately the right thing to have it removed it's a big'un!!
smiley

Post by smiley »

Wonder what size bottle of Meths one would need to jug that bloke? :lol:
Cheers, K 8-)
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury

Post by vlclabbie »

LOLOLOL Just had a mental picy of you trying to stuff him down the bottle hole Kristen! :cheesy:

I'd suggest......... head first! :-|
smiley

Post by smiley »

Hey! I jugged a night tiger two weeks ago, and by pure fortuitous chance, he went in beautiful zig-zag loops back and forth across the width of the bottle, and his skinny tail dripped down the side (the inside) to rest its tip near his head. Couldn't have done it better if I was paid money to do it! :thumbup:

However, I don't think meths comes in 20L clear glass drums to jug that eastern brown! And as for gutting him... :yuck:
Cheers, K 8-)
RosalieM
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

So, Estelle, how's it going with the snake? Any updates for us?

And Smiley, you do have some interesting stories to tell!! Can you attach a photo of your efforts? I'd like to see that! Do you keep them at home or display them in the lab?
rodannt
State/Location: VIC

Post by rodannt »

what is a "night tiger"?
estelle

Post by estelle »

Where I live a "tiger snake" is called a brown tree snake as well. The ones we have are rear fang types and non venemous they seem to come out at night and like to climb and look as if they are about 2 M long.
Lucky for me they are non venemous, I came home after dark one night and didn't have a light so I was trying to get the key in the back door (upstairs) and something was hitting me on the forearm. I thought it was just a big moth until I made out the shape of a snake entwined around the security screen.Scared the living #### out of me!
I have sort of got used to them being around now, occasionally when I am working in my room downstairs I get the feeling that I am not alone and if I look around there is usually one crawling around up high on the beams. Still rather they were somewhere else though.
Estelle
smiley

Post by smiley »

Estelle darling they ARE venomous, and can harm small kids and small animals. To even smaller animals - frogs, birds, lizards - they are fatal. They can make adults feel unwell, and face it, who would feel great after being bitten by anything!

Yes, night tigers are a particularly stripey version of a brown tree snake. Up here ours are fairly aggressive and choose to attack if disturbed. They are often distrubingly close to face level, because they are on screen doors, fence lines, clotheslines, low branches etc, looking for the afore-mentioned small animals.

Photos coming, as soon as I get around to taking them, and yes they live in the labs.
Cheers, K 8-)