Voltameter problems

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
rozcoz
State/Location: NSW

Voltameter problems

Post by rozcoz »

I purchased a new voltameter this time last year and put it away without checking that it worked properly. I now find I cant turn the glass taps at all.....would anyone have a solution?
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Re: Voltameter problems

Post by rae »

Hi Ros,

If you do a search for voltameter you will find various suggestions of which honey is a popular one.
Good luck.

Lorrae
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

OK. All suggestions, but no responsibilty, right?

Undo the nylon washer and nut bizzo on the ends of the taps.
Get a rubber mallet, or cover a hammer with something soft, like towelling or layers of Chux.
Run the voltameter under HOT water, right over where the taps are, and then give the glass taps a sharp blow, or two, on the ends of the taps.
Hopefully the taps will come out. Theoretically, the housing around the taps is a thinner hollow circle, while the taps are solid glass, so the outside should expand quicker than the inside.

After use, ALWAYS remove the taps after washing the whole thing out, and store the taps with their nylon nuts on them, next to the voltameter. Occasionally you could grease the taps with a little silicon grease.

Alternatively, wet the voltameter a lot, with maybe a thin sheen of detergent.
Hand it to your clumsiest student/teacher.
Watch them drop it.
Blame them! :thumbup:
Cheers, K 8-)
rozcoz

Post by rozcoz »

:rolleyes: Ummm...errrr....I fixed it alright.... :cry2:
rozcoz

Post by rozcoz »

Thanks for your advice anyway Smiley....(now to find the 'broken glass bin')..... :-({|=
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Oh dear! #-o :console:
For future reference, try WD40. Should loosen it up.

Julie
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

I was with smiley I would have run hot water over outside of taps so outside expands while trying to twist
But you Fixed, expensive way, but hey whatever works
judygee

Post by judygee »

We had the same problem with our recently purchased Voltameter! (Q stores, I think) WD40 did the trick, however we don't like this one at all -the electrodes come almost half way up the side arms (with the taps) we have to keep filling because the electrodes quickly come out of solution, so we are unable to get a good build-up of gases. Very frustrating and the wretched thing cost an arm and a leg! Cheers. Jude