Help

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Lab
State/Location: NSW

Help

Post by Lab »

I am trying to find a supplier for Albustix Paper and DCPIP solution. All the companies I have tried I have had no success. The teachers here need a price and quantities that can be bought. OR if anyone has any other suggestions that can be used instead of that would be great too.

Thanks!
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Re: Help

Post by Loopy »

Hi Julie,
I was in your spot a couple of years ago. As far as I know Albustix are no longer made and we now use Uristix which measure glucose and protein. DCPIP is not for use for junior classes according to CSIS so alternately we use iodine and starch for testing for vitamin C. You'll find it using a search on this site for this alternative. In the meantime Southern Biological supply Uristix, DCPIP powder and tablets.
Hope this helps,
Lou P. :D
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Re: Help

Post by estelle »

Hi,
I am in just starting to do a chemical stocktake for the year and I noticed in the CSIS folder that DCPIP is toxic in one area and non toxic in another it gets a bit confusing sometimes.
Anyway, all you can do is send out the PPE and if they don't use it properly well too bad.
I can't remember where I got my DCPIP from but it is only a one gram container but it goes a long way. It says to mix it .5g to 500ml of water. 500mL is a lot of testing!!
When I used it a couple of weeks ago I pretty much put 50mLs water in a beaker and put just a touch of the powder into it, it goes a brilliant purple colour and the test for Vit C worked well. More like bucket chemistry, I certainly didn't weigh the DCPIP and it definately worked.
So even if it sounds like a lot of money for 1 gm you will probably get your moneys worth.
Estelle.