What Do You Tell People?

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
DavidPeterson
Job Title: STEM Resource & Lab Manager
School: Murray Bridge High School
Suburb: Murray Bridge
State/Location: SA

Re: What Do You Tell People?

Post by DavidPeterson »

I tell them:

"I'm not a tecaher - I have to WORK for my money"
DCP 8-)
STEM Resource @ Laboratory Manager
RPAS (Drone) Pilot
Wayne
School: Mount Carmel College
Suburb: Sandy Bay
State/Location: TAS

Post by Wayne »

I also work 24 hours a week and get paid for 40 weeks a year.

I have never got out of attending a sports carnival, activities day or any such thing. Also take sporting teams in my own time. There was one period many years ago that I worked out that I was doing more hours with sport teams than I was paid work! Don't do that anymore!
I refuse to do athletics training which annoys the school no end (as I do athletics) as it symbolises every thing I hate about organised sport. They are given priority status in the school, have a vest (that they can wear at school) saying they made the athletics team and strut around the school pretending to be better than the others. This includes the staff involved.

Love what I do though.
linotas

Post by linotas »

I know this is an old thread but I am always interested and somewhat 8O at the conditions some people have.

I have two jobs at two catholic schools and am classified under the same classification for each. However, one I am employed for 52 weeks a year and the other only 40. I was told at the 40weeks a year school that they are not allowed to employ TA's (which is what lab techs here in the catholic system are classified under although we have our own classification within it) for 52 weeks a year. When I said but that is how I am employed at the other school they looked shocked and shook their heads and didn't know how that could be the case. At that school lab techs, admin staff, grounds men and IT staff are all employed 52 weeks a year. Holidays are a magical time :lol:

Wayne, you continue to amaze me at what you put up with at that school. They have no idea what a good thing they have in you :) No way I would be doing it ;)
Wayne
School: Mount Carmel College
Suburb: Sandy Bay

Post by Wayne »

linotas wrote:I know this is an old thread but I am always interested and somewhat 8O at the conditions some people have.

I have two jobs at two catholic schools and am classified under the same classification for each. However, one I am employed for 52 weeks a year and the other only 40. I was told at the 40weeks a year school that they are not allowed to employ TA's (which is what lab techs here in the catholic system are classified under although we have our own classification within it) for 52 weeks a year. When I said but that is how I am employed at the other school they looked shocked and shook their heads and didn't know how that could be the case. At that school lab techs, admin staff, grounds men and IT staff are all employed 52 weeks a year. Holidays are a magical time :lol:

Wayne, you continue to amaze me at what you put up with at that school. They have no idea what a good thing they have in you :) No way I would be doing it ;)
I wish my school was a bit more like your 2nd school, being employed 52 weeks of the year would be great!
It's not all bad here, the girls are great (not every school can you leave a prac out in the classroom and know no one will touch it) and the staff are great (well, except one or two and unfortunately one of them has to be a science teacher).