HERMIT CRABS

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
ri
State/Location: NSW

HERMIT CRABS

Post by ri »

Hi all,
is anyone aware of any specific regulations for keeping hermit crabs??
Cheers,
~Robyn
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager
State/Location: NSW

Re: HERMIT CRABS

Post by Ocean Breeze »

I am pretty sure that there arent any.. in NSW at least.
Safer to ask your pet shop where you buy them.
We had ours for about 6 mths.
They seemed to take a lot of care compared to say, an aquarium or a pet rock.
I hated having to salt bath them every morning. Yeeek! They reminded me way too much of giant spiders, especially since they didnt like their baths too much, and grasped on to my finger to escape..shudder. 8O
I ended up giving them away to a good home!
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Re: HERMIT CRABS

Post by Slartibartfast »

You scare too easily! Look at the little chap below - he's luvley. They are great fun but they do need a fair bit of looking after otherwise they can get a bit smelly. Kids love to watch them but and they are real individuals. There are no regs. in NSW against keeping them. I discovered yesterday my Yabby couple are expecting again - she's in berry and has several hundred eggs hidden under her tail. We're all very proud here at the moment but that will end with the late night feeds and changing nappies etc etc. yabbies are opposite in the need to constantly look after them area. The more you leave them alone the happier they are. Our breeding pair are in our busiest lab and couldn't be healthier. The students are interested in them and leave them alone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory