50th Anniversary

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
cheltie
State/Location: NSW

50th Anniversary

Post by cheltie »

Hi everyone,
Our school is having their 50th anniversary and we are putting on a science show for open day. We are already doing a few fun chemistry things but does anyone have any ideas of anything we could do to recreate an old fashioned science lesson. it would have to be legal to do it now. ( Our head teacher has no sense of adventure)
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Re: 50th Anniversary

Post by Slartibartfast »

That rules out giving the students a thrashing then! What about the next best thing - give the Van Der Graaf a quick tune up and give them all a new hair style!
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
cheltie

Post by cheltie »

Good idea Richard,
There are a few girls here who would be very upset if their hair was messed up a bit. What would the boys at the station think?
I did find an old cane in the store room so haven't completely discounted the idea of a thrashing.
Helen
sharonm

Post by sharonm »

-We have made newton's cradle using bowling balls (we approcached our local bowling ally for disused balls which they were glad to donate) steel cable and gal pipe. May be able to send you a pic if I can find one.
-Another is that we have made a set of scaled dominos for demonstrating the domino principle. They have been used to build a house on a tarp to demonstrate an earthquake.
These may be of some help to you.
cheltie

Post by cheltie »

That sounds amazing Sharon.
Any photos would be goood.
My email is helen.a.larsen@education.nsw.gov.au
Thanks
rp

Post by rp »

Hi Helen
I did a lot of demos with dry ice from Feigent's Ice
The kids loved it.
fire extinguishers,dancing bubbles ,changing colours with universal ,elephant's toothpaste etc.
Its only $5.50 a kilo .so 2 kilos is enough.
You can also write secret messages with lemon juice on filter paper and hold gently over a bunsen to reveile the message. Its all very 007 ish.