Hello Tassie Lab Techs!

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
ndicker
State/Location: TAS

Hello Tassie Lab Techs!

Post by ndicker »

Just wanted to send a shout out to all those Tassie Lab Techs out there!!!! I'm new to this.... just started 2weeks ago, only 2 days after my final uni exam for BBiotech! I'm enjoying it all so far... it's great while my kids are still in school. And am thinking about doing a GradDip Education soon! Anyone else done that....
Would love to hear from anyone out there.... bit lonely here in the Tassie room all by myself.... (hey.... isn't that a song?!?!?! :lol: )

Catch ya
Nicole :wink:
Robb
State/Location: NSW

Hello Nichole from NSW

Post by Robb »

Hi Nicole,
Like yourself I hold a BSc. in both Chem. (Hons) and Physics

I was fresh out of Uni and Found permanent work as an Industrial Chemist working in Research and Development and Quality Control at Bayer Australia.

I have been in the Chemical Industry for 3 Years since Uni.

There was a merger with a company in Queensland where I was squeezed out and having to take a redundancy package. It hit hard as 30 other plant workers including the site manager had to leave!!

Fortunately I had at least the schools to fall back onto, I was only out of work for 3 weeks and I had an interview at the school I am in now.

Here at Lake Munmorah we just have a ball and we work well on a collegial basis knowing that if they get stuck they have another person to fall back on to.

The work is not the same obviously but it still offers some challenges when the time arises. The teachers have asked why I don't retrain as a teacher but I know that if I do that I will have lost a lot of hard work at Uni. So I'm happy here with what I do because the students can ask for more detailed help if needed particularly HSC classes.

I often am invited into the classroom to talk about the Chemical Industry and the processes involved, and I have a lot of input into Chemistry and Physics classes.

It’s good though all-in-all, as there are things that you can do that would necessarily not have been thought of in schools. Experiments are one thing and the teachers are just amazed.

This educational experience though certainly helps...
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **