Lighting Bunsens

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
sherryc
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: Mudgee High
State/Location: NSW

Lighting Bunsens

Post by sherryc »

We have an ongoing problem with the lighting of bunsens with matches. Matches are put down the stem of the bunsen, down the sink, always have clogged & slow sinks that block up. GA tearing his hair out trying to unclog them all the time . An idea has been put forward about using the flint guns that are used for lighting acetylene torchs ( the ones used to cut metal etc ) Has anyone used these before or have any better ideas on how to get around this on going problem? Any suggestions welcome.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Re: Lighting Bunsens

Post by bigmack »

We tried the flint lighters for lighting Oxy torches but there was no way the kids , especially the younger nes could handle them .

One of our teachers tried cigarette lighters and they were very successful . Only two went into the class room each prac .

We gave up on little matches and now use the bigger ones.

Blocked sinks has always been a problem for us . If its not matches , its pens, pencils , dirt …. Basically anything that fits goes down them
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

Morning everyone,

I use small foil trays sent out with the matches. They are marked "used matches" and I am very happy when they are returned with used matches. This has stopped matches down the sink and in bunsens but, my issue is that they get emptied into the fire bucket before they are returned.! #-o
Lou P.
Learner Lab Technician
Wagga Wagga
NSW
kimmy68
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School

Post by kimmy68 »

To stop matches going down drain and many other things.
Get a sink drain strainer thing for Bunnings and just a couple of drops of hot glue to hold it in place.