Experiment gone wrong

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Re: Experiment gone wrong

Post by Merilyn1 »

RosalieL wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 09:57
bigmack wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 08:53 My head teacher says that Primary Schools are not allowed to do experiments with anything that's not edible . So using Metho is a breach straight up .

Which could explain why so many year 7 kids are always asking if they can eat everything :yuck:.....to much molly coddling :whistling2:
That's interesting! And yes, explains a bit about why they don't have respect for science chemicals! Surely as a demo it wouldn't have to be edible, would it?
I wonder if that is a Dept of Education thing/CSIS?
At our school it would all be based on a prior risk assessment - training of the person doing the demonstration, the ability to manage the students, what was being used, where, resources etc etc would all need to be taken into account. It would have to be a good RA to get past their T&L Coordinator though.
Certainly having a rule that only uses food is good. But then you'd need an RA to cover the risk of food allergies! :giggle:
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Just got a notification from DET that Black snake prac is not permitted pending further investigation .

https://education.nsw.gov.au/noticeboar ... in-schools
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Our lower Year 8's did it in 6 groups, inside. with small quantities in a evaporating dish. A very experienced teacher; she poured the metho and lit each one. All done safely and successfully after a full risk assessment was done.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

bigmack wrote: 01 Dec 2022, 08:37 Just got a notification from DET that Black snake prac is not permitted pending further investigation .

Not really surprised.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
macca

Post by macca »

Labbie wrote: 01 Dec 2022, 11:00
bigmack wrote: 01 Dec 2022, 08:37 Just got a notification from DET that Black snake prac is not permitted pending further investigation .

Not really surprised.
We don't have access to the department, can someone fill us in. That would be great. thanks
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

macca wrote: 01 Dec 2022, 11:56
Labbie wrote: 01 Dec 2022, 11:00

Not really surprised.
We don't have access to the department, can someone fill us in. That would be great. thanks
Hi Macca
If you are in an independent school, as I am, we do not have to strictly follow DoE guidelines.
I did some WHS training with AIS recently, and they did advise that the Dept of Ed guidelines were the "industry standard". They were suggesting we refer to CSIS. They didn't seem too perturbed that they were recommending something that, for us, was over twenty years old. I raised this with our Risk Manager from our head office, who rolled her eyes and shook her head.
Of course, in this case the information provided is up to date. It will be interesting what they come up with after their investigation. I hope they are not basing their decision on the printed copy of CSIS!
My bottom line is why would anyone actually need to be doing this prac? Teachers struggle to get through the curriculum as it is without adding more to it.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Hope I am not out of line posting this .I trust you will delete it Labbie if you feel it is breaching DOE confidentiality .
Safety_Alert_95-Science_Activities_in_Schools.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
macca

Post by macca »

Thanks Bigmack, it is nice to know what the DET schools are doing. I don't refer to the old CSIS at all any more, so out of date, we use Riskassess. That's our bible now a days, if I really get stuck and can't find an answer on here. I send Phillip Crisp an email.

Have a lovely weekend everyone.
curie

Post by curie »

macca wrote: 02 Dec 2022, 12:47 Thanks Bigmack, it is nice to know what the DET schools are doing. I don't refer to the old CSIS at all any more, so out of date, we use Riskassess. That's our bible now a days, if I really get stuck and can't find an answer on here. I send Phillip Crisp an email.

Have a lovely weekend everyone.
Yep