Banned from 1 NOV

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Banned from 1 NOV

Post by Labbie »

What plastics are banned NSW?
From November 1:

Single use plastic straws, stirrers and cutlery, including knives, spoons, forks, chopsticks and food picks. As with the bags, the ban will include such items made from biodegradable, compostable, or bio-plastic materials. Wooden items are not included.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Labbie

Re: Banned from 1 NOV

Post by Labbie »

The $11,000 fine Aussies face from November as a major ban comes into force - Can people use up want they have???
Regards Labbie

labbassistant
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollongong High School

Post by labbassistant »

Do you know if this means we can't even have in on site from nov 1st?
Or no more purchasing from nov 1st?
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Labbie wrote: 02 Sep 2022, 11:09 The $11,000 fine Aussies face from November as a major ban comes into force - Can people use up want they have???
Where did you see this, Labbie? Hopefully people can use what they have! So much extra waste to throw it out unused.
Merilyn1
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Google Single Use Plastic Ban NSW. Says that the ban includes "supplying an item while carrying on an activity for...education...purposes"
https://www.dpie.nsw.gov.au/our-work/en ... ics-in-nsw

You can also register for the "Great Plastic Rescue". Might be worthwhile contacting your own canteens, Food Tech etc, to see if they have registered.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

I do believe all old stock in NSW (at the moment) can not be used after 1st Nov 2022. Other states will be following at a later date,
Regards Labbie

Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Merilyn1 thank you for that link.
Regards Labbie

Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

One would hope that the items they are collecting will be recycled!
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

https://www.greatplasticrescue.co/register-now For your old stock, SO DO NOT BUY UP BIG, YOU CAN NOT USE THEM AFTER 1ST NOV
Regards Labbie

Labbie

Post by Labbie »

https://dpe.mysocialpinpoint.com.au/pla ... repare-ban "Stop ordering banned items now and use up existing stock. You cannot continue to suppy or use after 1 Nov
Regards Labbie

labbassistant
School: Wollongong High School

Post by labbassistant »

I've tried a few browsers and that link doesn't work for me.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Oh sorry Perhaps some one else has a better link??
Regards Labbie

RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

Where is the info about the fines? I haven't seen anything in the above links say what the consequences are for not adhering to the ban.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

I'll get back to the person who sent it to me.
Regards Labbie

Labbie

Post by Labbie »

PLASTIC BAN
PHASING OUT INFORMATION:
https://www.dpie.nsw.gov.au/.../phasing-out-single-use...
PLASTIC BAN WEBINAR
https://www.eventbrite.com.au/.../nsw-plastics-ban-info...
INFORMATION EMAILED TO ANDIE JONES:
The upcoming bans will apply to certain items that schools may be using for science or craft activities. This is because the items themselves are banned based on what they are designed and intended to be ordinarily used for, and not based on the actual end use or activity. Organisations providing educational services or activities are included in the bans, along with all other businesses. There are no general exemptions for schools.
From 1 June 2022, lightweight plastic bags with handles (less than 35 microns) have been banned in NSW. From 1 November 2022, further plastic items will be banned including:
• single-use plastic cutlery, straws, stirrers, plates, bowls (without lids) and cotton buds
• expanded polystyrene food ware and cups
• rinse-off personal care products containing plastic microbeads.
The ban applies whether the item is sold or given away for free.
The ban applies to ‘traditional’ plastic, as well as any biodegradable, compostable, or bio-plastics alternatives, including those made from Australian certified compostable plastic.
More information is available at: https://dpe.mysocialpinpoint.com.au/plastics-ban-nsw
In regard to the items you have mentioned:
• plastic straws - yes, these are captured. The only exemption in place is for the supply to an individual who needs a plastic single-use straw due to a disability or other medical need, or an individual/organisation acting on behalf of someone who does.
• polystyrene craft balls and cups - Expanded polystyrene (EPS) cups are banned (foam type). Other types of cups are not banned. Other EPS craft items (beads or balls etc.) are not included in the ban as they are not food ware, though we do recommend switching to an alternate, more sustainable material where possible.
• plastic cutlery - yes, these are captured.
• plastic plates - yes, these are captured.
We would advise schools that they still have until 1 November 2022 to use up their existing stock of these items and source a suitable alternative that can be used after this date.
The Government is supporting businesses with some of the changes, including the issue of leftover stock of all single-use plastics. The Environment Protection Authority (EPA) in partnership with Great Plastic Rescue is giving obsolete single-use plastics second lives by offering businesses low-cost collection of existing stocks to be recycled and remanufactured into durable new building and industry products. If you cannot run down, exchange or return stock to your suppliers in time, you can register with Great Plastic Rescue at: If you have further questions, I also encourage you to attend the webinar we are hosting on 15 September at 2:30pm for schools and education providers. I have attached the invitation which contains a link to register for the session. By registering, you will also be able to access a recording of the webinar at a later time, if you cannot attend the live event.
I hope that this information is of assistance to you. Please do not hesitate to get in touch if you need further information.
Please note this response reflects the EPA’s views and is not legal advice. The outcome would depend on the specific facts and circumstances of each scenario.
Regards Labbie

RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

RosalieL wrote: 05 Sep 2022, 13:59 Where is the info about the fines? I haven't seen anything in the above links say what the consequences are for not adhering to the ban.

I found it in the FAQ of this page under enforcement and fines.

https://dpe.mysocialpinpoint.com.au/plastics-ban-nsw
Marama T
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: College

Post by Marama T »

I love it that we are finally doing this.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Agree! We will all find suitable alternatives as everyone did before plastics were common. I grew up with paper straws and paper bags at the supermarket (if you didn't have your own)
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

I just used a heap of paper Woolworths bags for wrapping pass the parcel for my kids birthday parties coming up! (side note - they were supposed to both be this Saturday but miss 7-on-monday now has covid and miss 3-today has gastro :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: so I don't know when we will actually get to have the parties!)

I do agree with the ban being a good thing, but I also wish we could use what we have as it seems such a waste to have manufactured and transported it in the first place to then recycle/discard without using it first.
KassH
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: SPC KMPSY

Post by KassH »

"encourage you to attend the webinar we are hosting on 15 September at 2:30pm for schools and education providers. I have attached the invitation which contains a link to register for the session. By registering, you will also be able to access a recording of the webinar at a later time, if you cannot attend the live event."

Hi Labbie
Do you have the link for this info session, please?