Year 10 DNA Pracs.

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Marama T
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: College
State/Location: NSW

Re: Year 10 DNA Pracs.

Post by Marama T »

I wash and reuse zip lock bags all the time. Eventually they do have to go in the bin, sadly. Fortunately there are now some excellent compostable bags available. (Thankfully, my head teacher would never instruct me to not reuse something.)
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Marama T wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 08:24 I wash and reuse zip lock bags all the time. Eventually they do have to go in the bin, sadly. Fortunately there are now some excellent compostable bags available. (Thankfully, my head teacher would never instruct me to not reuse something.)
I find the regular ones don't even last the prac. Maybe our kids are a bit too rough with their smooshing of the fruit? They usually have to double bag them to avoid too many leaks.
Marama T
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: College

Post by Marama T »

Surely there's a way to "smoosh" fruit without a bag - mortar and pestle? Sounds like the bags do a pretty ordinary job.
Wayne
School: Mount Carmel College
Suburb: Sandy Bay
State/Location: TAS

Post by Wayne »

I've attached what we do. It is a bit more intensive than the zip lock bag method, but it eliminates the use of bags which is good for the environment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Prima
Job Title: Lab assistant

Post by Prima »

Wayne wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 12:34 I've attached what we do. It is a bit more intensive than the zip lock bag method, but it eliminates the use of bags which is good for the environment.
Wayne thanks for sharing, that method looks great! So much background detail as well :clap3: