cleaning wax etc

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
suzyr
State/Location: NSW

cleaning wax etc

Post by suzyr »

Does anyone have any hints on the best way to clean glass of parrafin and wax etc. We have an experiment using both with borax - hand cream, a big greasy mess to wash up. Any ideas would be welcome.
thanks
suzyr
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

:-)
I usually physically wipe off as much as I can 1st.......using newspaper/towelling. Then a rub with kerosene & paper towel. Then wash with hot water and laundry detergent.
Make sure you keep everything seperate in the wash or the waxes will "spread" to other items
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Hi Sue,

I think they used to do the same prac here, but not since I've been on the job.

However, our Yr 8's make sunscreen at the beginning of each year, very similar ingredients - paraffin, beeswax, wax crayon (for colour) and zinc oxide. It was a nightmare to clean the small beakers used afterwards, until someone worked out that salty water would help (ie. like sunscreen comes off in the surf).

Still a lot of work, though. Then I suggested we collect baby food jars and heat it in those instead of beakers, which is how we do it now. Use a hot-plate, not bunsens, for obvious reasons, and each student can take their own jar home, if they want. I ask for clean baby-food jars through the newsletter, or from staff with littlies at home.

I do most of the weighing and measuring into the jars first (much less mess that way), and the students add the zinc. They stir it with a paddle pop stick, then throw it away. I don't dread that prac any more, now!

Cheers,

Liz