Clear PVA Glue

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Clear PVA Glue

Post by Merilyn1 »

My science teacher needs PVA glue to make slime for our open day. At another school we both worked at, we had some clear PVA glue, not the white glue but I haven't been able to find it since. A few websites say theirs is clear because it dries clear but this was clear glue. Had a much better end product for the kids - they can just add glitter to it and we don't have to worry about the mess of food colouring.
Anyone come across anything like this?
Shell1
Job Title: lab assistant
School: SJBC
Suburb: Engadine

Re: Clear PVA Glue

Post by Shell1 »

Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Clag Clear Gum glue in 5L containers works really well - try Officeworks. Used to be able to get this glue from SBA Office National but they now carry a different brand of clear glue. Probably still worth a try though.

Slime Recipe: 25ml clear clag gum
6 pumps of Sorbolene hand cream (with 10% glycerine) - varying brands give different results.
2-3 drops of glycerine (in dropper bottles)
2 drops of food colour (in dropper bottles)
Mix all the above in a plastic cup using a paddlepop stick. What you have is something the equivalent of PVA but better (my opinion).

Add 15ml of Borax - saturated solution. STIR
Have ziplock snack bags available so that the students can take their slime home. Make sure that hands are washed after playing with slime.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale

Post by ELIZABETH »

I buy solid PVA and make it up as needed - takes a while to dissolve but it works well.
The issue now, however, is the new warnings on Borax.......
AnnNos
Job Title: Science Assistant

Post by AnnNos »

Are you sure it was PVA - polyvinyl acetate- glue and not PVA - polyvinyl alcohol - which is a clear liquid we have used to slime?
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Thanks everyone for your help. Not sure on the polyvinyl acetate -v- polyvinyl alcohol. As far as I can remember it was just labelled clear PVA Glue. I've ordered some Clag Clear Gum and I'll let you know how we go with that.