microscope slides

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College
State/Location: WA

microscope slides

Post by dolphinscales »

Not sure if this fits in this forum space or some where else.

Microscope slides - is there a nice easy,safe method of griding a few mm of the edgees?

i ask as i have all these little boxes of prepared slides and 3 empty large woodedn boxes to house them all in - makes store easier let alone accounting for them all. BUT some of the slides are just a bit to big to fit nicely in the little lots. There is a descrepency in the size of each of the slides.

Any useful ideas would be greatly accepted :-|
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

It is infinantly easier to modify the wooden slots into which they fit using a tool such as a Dremel or a (very) fine chisel and file than removing edges from brittle glass slides. Even if you have access to a industrial diamond type glass cutter, the amount you need to remove sounds minimal and it will splinter beyond use. Get your industrial arts faculty to sort it, they'd like the task!

See Ya!
Richard
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College
State/Location: WA

Post by dolphinscales »

Thanks Richard - laying in bed the night after i typed that i thought you silly woman why dont you change the slots - ohh dear would that fact I have not been well cover me on that one - sigh!
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

Of course! Happens to the best of them. Hope your feeling better soon!

Richard