Dishwasher Meile vs Omega(on special at Westlab $505)

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
c.labs4ever
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: St Josephs College
Suburb: Hunters Hill
State/Location: NSW

Dishwasher Meile vs Omega(on special at Westlab $505)

Post by c.labs4ever »

Hi All Labbies,
I have been through the listings under dishwasher. I was approved for the one sent out recently by Westlab free delivery for a bench top $505. I tried contacting Meile but they will take a couple of days to get back to me & I have to get to my HOD by lunch.
Anyone who has bought a dishwasher recently that they are happy would you be able to give me approx. prices you paid?
Cheers
C
c.labs4ever
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: St Josephs College
Suburb: Hunters Hill

Re: Dishwasher Meile vs Omega(on special at Westlab $505)

Post by c.labs4ever »

Also I cant find it again, but someone did a price breakdown to justify their purchase would you mind sharing that?
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

We're in the market for a new dishwasher, too. I had a look at the Westlab one but I fear it may be too small. I'd be happy to hear from anyone with a dishwasher opinion, too. I've been told that if we purchase a domestic dishwasher that as soon as we put lab gear into it, the warranty is void, so there isn't much point in spending a lot on a domestic washer.
Louise

Post by Louise »

Hi ,
Last year I bought a bench dishwasher from Westlab, it works great but is quite small inside it only has one slide out compartment about 3/4 the size of a normal dishwasher drawer. You also need to purchase the tap adaptor and be very close to a sink /drain and power point as it needs a water source and to drain into your sink. ( the pipes are quite shor) and it didn't need a plumper to install . I bought this as it wasn't feasible to put one under a bench in a small prep room. It washes very well, much better than a full size I think. ( barter with Westlab as they should do free delivery and also add the adaptor )
I also have just replaced the BER supplied one in my prep room with a very cheap one from betta electrical, it goes every day and for the money I really wasn't worried about a guarantee.
karend

Post by karend »

I too, am looking at dishwashers. Considered the Westlab one, but appears too small and fiddly. I had a second hand domestic one for 10 years and am looking at purchasing a new domestic one. Not sure what do do, but would love a dishwasher as hand washing sucks!!
Laverne

Post by Laverne »

We have just purchased a domestic dishwasher but it is yet to be installed. It is to replaced a second hand one that the school was given. It lasted a couple of years. Hand washing does suck!! Can't wait for the dishwasher to be operational.
tuesday
Job Title: Lab Tech
State/Location: ACT

Post by tuesday »

We bought a Meile lab dishwasher 3 years ago. Yes it's expensive , around the $8000 mark with the extras we bought with it but we have never looked back. The money we have saved with the normal dishwashers breaking down and maintenance has been huge. We haven't had any issues so far and it gets a big work out all the time. Plus we have not had to replace anything with it yet. So easy to use and the company are great to deal with if you ever ring them.
Wayne
School: Mount Carmel College
Suburb: Sandy Bay
State/Location: TAS

Post by Wayne »

I bought a Domestic Siemens dishwasher over 3 years ago and have had no problem with it. It is used nearly every day. I like that it has 3 baskets/draws, the bottom basket's spikes can all lie flat to enable the use of a test tube rack (bought from Westlab), all draws/baskets can be removed if extra space is needed. There are a variety of useful settings and most importantly it gets the glassware and other items cleaned!
Shas

Post by Shas »

Also in the market. saw the westlab unit but agree looks a little small. thought I'd go the other extreme and got a price for lab glassware washer. (top of the range possibly) with all the extra racks nearly $9000. I'm sure it would do a fantastic job but out of our price range. :cry2:
Sharon
karend

Post by karend »

Spirit Burners
Can year 8 use the burners? We only usually let seniors use. Am reluctant to let this class use them.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Could you Please do put your questions under another title say Spirit Burners.

It really is allowed if the spirit in the bottles has a green code. Does that make sense to you???????
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Rock
State/Location: QLD

Post by Rock »

Hi, probably too late for c.labs' decision, but we have just purchased one of the Omegas as a second dishwasher. (We have a lot of dishes here during certain times). The unit is good. Haines sells a test tube rack with prongs that replaces the standard domestic dishwasher rack (it is quite expensive but 250mL beakers and test-tubes both fit on it easily and it cleans them very well). One drawback is that the dishwasher doesn't have a digital display. It just beeps when it's finished. It is also quite small, but that didn't worry us.