GHS Labeling

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Jennag
Job Title: Lab tech
School: Clare High School
Suburb: Clare
State/Location: SA

GHS Labeling

Post by Jennag »

Hi guys,
Like many others I was unaware of the GHS labelling compliance stuff. I work 16 hours a week in a high school of about 500 students. So if I am printing my labels off of Chemwatch for things like dropper bottles and it doesn't have a pictogram that makes it non-compliant? Sorry for the lack of knowledge no one in my school seems to know a thing about it
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Re: GHS Labeling

Post by Labbie »

Droppers bottle are so much smaller, that the chemwatch co, do not see the need to pictogram's, it really does depend on the strength of the solution.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Chemwatch does use the pictograms on the labels for solutions in dropper bottles that need it.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Rae is right. Seems like they do include the pictogram where they think it is needed - it's all the other information they try to cram on that is the problem. Make sure you are selecting the GHS compliant label on Chemwatch, though.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Jennag , I feel your frustration and it is why I am leaving Dropper bottles to last .....kind of hoping there will be a last minute moment of reality where WHS and the DoE actually get their S..t together and realize that we can't realistically produce a 25ml dropper bottle that is WHS compliant ......Oh and get Chemwatch on board too :whistling2: , so we can print the bloody labels ......Or....some other alternative that will let us get on with our job .

OK regarding Chemwatch label making . The default labels that Chemwatch generate are not the be all and end all .

"DGen label maker" on Chemwatch is well worth playing with . You can customize a label yourself :thumbup: . You can make it as big or small as you want . you can make multiple of them if you want ( rows and columns ) . You can include or exclude whatever you like .I have made several User defined Labels ...that's what I now use , as I found none of the Chemwatch ones workd for me
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Oh dear - please do not leave labeling until last! We have nearly 3,000 dropper bottles here and we made it a project to wash them refill them and relabel them with GHS labels - it took us weeks! even to relabel bottles.. think about it .
Say you have a tray of 16 dropper bottles work out the time it is going to take you to:
remove old label
design and print new label
put dot on it
stick new label on

IF it took only 1 minute per bottle then there goes 16 minutes per tray,
BUT it is going to take a lot longer than that... mmm 5 mins per bottle = 80 minutes.....
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

The naughty students that had lunch time detention , had clean empty dropper bottles, they had to cut, the labels and put the dots on, put it on the empty dropper bottle. All we had to do , was refill them. And wash another lot ready for next time. Took us ages but it did help.
Regards Labbie

Xenon
Job Title: Rocket Scientist
School: Arndell Anglican College
Suburb: Oakville

Post by Xenon »

I heard RiskAssess are working on a GHS labelling system; they hope to have ready by mid-year.
Xe, SD, KOPR
Milo
State/Location: ACT

Post by Milo »

Having been to the recent safety course, Phillip Crisp's advice is that any chemical you have "decanted or transferred", including reagent bottles and droppers, has to have at minimum 1. the name, 2. a signal word if applicable (ie DANGER or WARNING), and 3. hazard statements or at the least hazard pictogram(s). So you can get away with dropper bottles that have only the name, signal word, and a pictogram sticker. But better to have more information if you can fit it on larger bottles.

He also said that Chemwatch's labels are not compliant with guidelines for font size, their fonts are often too small (note this is not law but a guideline). They try to cram everything on to small labels but this is not necessary and can indeed get in the way.
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Chemwatch labels - if the right hand side has too much information on it, then I print that part up separately and put it on the BACK of the dropper bottle, leaving the front label clearer with larger font.
MissKat
Job Title: Science Technician
School: Cranbrook School
Suburb: Bellevue Hill

Post by MissKat »

You can also edit the Chemwatch labels to have a limit of statement sentences if you have labels with heaps of lines.

I remember at one Chemwatch 'training day', the speaker said you can have simple label on the droppers and then on the dropper tray, have the label with the complete information on it. I'm not sure if it's still ok to do this....??
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Yes it is
Regards Labbie

Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

I just thought I would do one chemical today to get started on the GHS labelling.
Logged into chemwatch and got 'sodium hydroxide', and the labels are not the GHS ones. They are the old system ones. The pictogram is the old one.
So I checked copper sulfate, knowing that the pictogram should be the dying fish one, but its just the black and white striped Misc one.
Help?
Am I searching in the wrong place?
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

yea i am a goose, found it - all good.

I expect this behaviour of my brain on a monday - or friday LOL
superbug

Post by superbug »

happy you figured it out!
now you can work on D-Gen, so you can make your own size labels with the info you would like/need.
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

maybe next week...LOL
I think my labels would say
"dont drink it, sniff it or put it on your skin"
superbug

Post by superbug »

You decide what info you want on your label and chemwatch imports it off the SDS for you.
you dont have to type the info yourself.
I hope you understand.
Samantham

Post by Samantham »

Riskassess labels are out - YAY - happy dance

:clap3: :clap3: :clap3:
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ :D
karend

Post by karend »