Is their a list for casual work, for SAO

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Is their a list for casual work, for SAO

Post by Labbie »

We have a lovely lady, who is very hard working, honest, and has enjoyed her time with me in science. Is their a list out their she can join. As staff are back to full strength next year.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
superbug

Re: Is their a list for casual work, for SAO

Post by superbug »

I am hoping my son can be added to that list (if there is one) as he will be finishing his CERT 3 in Laboratory skills this year. Just in time for the new school year. I believe he needs to get some code or PIN to be able to work in schools, anyone know where he can get one from and what it is, he is in NSW.
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

As a casual, I wish there was a central list out there for me to join! As far as I am aware, each school has their own list of casuals they call on when needed. It may be different in major cities, but that's how it works here in the country...

I got my start by volunteering at each school I was interested in working at, they got to know me & what I could do then started calling.

Superbug, your son needs to get his Working With Children Check, costs about $80.00 and you get them from the RMS. Then he needs to get a casual employee number, I'm pretty sure they can only be obtained from schools.

Good luck!

Mel
superbug

Post by superbug »

Thanks Mel,

So he can get a CEO number from any school once he has a working with children check completed. Is that right or does he have to get a CEO from each school that he may try to get work with.
I applaud your initiative for gaining employment by volunteering. My son had volunteered at lifeline for 3 months and still no-one was interested in employing him. He was discouraged and felt a failure, As no one will give him a go. If he still cant gain employment he will have to go back and do another course. its a shame as he would be an asset to any workplace, not necessarily as a lab tech in school.

Thanks again Mel.

Superbug
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

begging-emoticon-showing-clasped-hands-41405302.jpg
we looking for temp. 2 terms, 20 hours per week, close to North Sydney station
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers Jazz
superbug

Post by superbug »

So what would he have to do to apply for the position vacant Jazz please? so is that terms 1 and 2? Are the hours variable/ flexible?

Thanks Superbug
melsid

Post by melsid »

Thanks Superbug,

Once your son has his number, it is the same at all public schools. No idea how it works in the private system though...

If he is flexible, he is more likely to get work too. I work in science, food tech, school office, and SLSO. Depends on the day and the school! They call, I say yes & then ask what they need me to do so I know what to wear.

Mel
superbug

Post by superbug »

Not sure how to apply for CEO number Mel, can you please advise I am in indep school and dont need a number?

Thanks Superbug
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Please see attached file
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers Jazz
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Love the last point in the key selection criteria:- Sense of humour!! Think I lost mine a few years ago so now I'm not suitable for the job!!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Please join LinkedIn, many employers looking for the candidates there (mine school included)
Cheers Jazz
melsid

Post by melsid »

Hey Superbug,

You need to apply through a school to get your number, at least that's how I got mine a few years ago. They needed me for casual work so I filled out the forms they gave me & they sent them away for me.

Mel
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

A lovely lady by the name of Wendy Ridley a SAM at Bankstown Public, is keeping a list of Admin & Science Casuals. So please call her or email her should you need some one.
Regards Labbie

noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Maybe we should have on on this site :thumbup:
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Hey Noona That's a really great idea. Not to sure how we go about it. Perhaps one of us could keep a list??? Or a few of us, can do lists for different areas?
Regards Labbie

Woonie

Post by Woonie »

I will be leaving my labbie job here in Darwin at the end of the year so if anyone is keen for it let me know. On the other hand I will be returning to Newcastle so I am after another school labbie job if anyone knows of anything going casual/permanent.
Thanks,
Woonie