A general discussion and Q & A forum.
AmandaDLG
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Merrylands High School
Suburb: Merrylands
State/Location: NSW

disposal

Post by AmandaDLG »

Being fairly new to the Job of Labbie and not being trained I find it very difficult working out how do dispose of Chemicals. I do look up the CSIS package and it does help but for working our what is organic and non organic I find it quite hard.

How do I learn whats what and and how to dispose of things properly. I do ask the teachers when I can but would still like to know how to do it on my own.

Im not in on Tuesday's so today I need to get rid of some cyclohexane and cyclohexene??? Also there is a some Copper sulphate liquid and left over Crystals. Whats the best way to dispose of them?? I have about 450ml of left over liquid. No idea of the strength...Would it be best to put some steel wool in there???

Any HELP would be appreciated.

Thanks
Amanda :unsure:
Amanda :coffee:
ferret

Re: disposal

Post by ferret »

Hi Amanda
Cyclohexane and Cyclohexene I am looking into someone to come and collect it .I have 7 x 500ml bottles that is very old and dried up into solid. If you only have small amounts use CSIS (23) and dispose of through fume cupboard on paper towel. With the Copper Sulfate liquid I reuse and the crystals I grind up in mortar and pestle and reuse. Label jars that it is recycled.
Check this site for organic/inorganic there may be a list.
Cheers
ferret :D
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

Hi Amanda, I'm sure there will be heaps of help for you in this forum, I have received lots of help and encouragement. I collect organic chemicals in a large amber bottle which is labelled "organic waste" and is kept in the flammable cabinet. I was told not to store it in the fume cupboard where it was when I started here. I keep copper sulphate solutions in a big amber bottle and use it to make saturated solutions or for non-analytical chemistry. Total copper sulphate waste that is beyond reclaiming is put in a container and stored in 6. I turn Butyric acid into an ester so it will not stink the place out if someone opens that (separate) waste container. Then the whole lot gets collected by the special man when there's enough to warrant it.
There was a list of the organic chemicals when I started here and now I just look it up if I'm not sure. They should just about all be stored in a flammable cabinet I think.
tuesday
Job Title: Lab Tech
State/Location: ACT

Post by tuesday »

Hi Amanda,
I really can't believe that they would put you in this position with not even basic knowledge or help to run the science prep-room.This is why Schools still have nasty accidents :(
I go through a company called toxfree for all my chemical waste pick up( most of us do ) and they give you containers to store your waste safely for pick up. Please give them a ring on 02 98514200, They will help you .
Copper sulphate is non organic but can not go down the sink, well I don't and the other two are a no no for the sink too and I would put in an organic waste.
But please give them a call., hope this helps :)
Cheers Mardi
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

The cyclohexane and cyclohexene will go into a labelled organics waste bottle and be stored in your flammables cupboard. I don't think you will need separate bottles. Whatever organic chemicals you put in this bottle just make sure that it is labelled with the appropriate chemical labels so that when it is disposed of in a chemical waste pickup they will know what they are handling and how to go about disposing of it. If someone else out there does something different I would like to know. I have never been trained for this job either.
If the copper sulfate liquid has not been contaminated with any other chemical just let it evaporate down to solid. I usually crush the remains with a mortar and pestle and put into a container that is correctly labelled and also indicate that the solid has been recyled. I have been recycling copper sulfate like this for the last thirty years. It just gets reused again and again. If you have large crystals then keep them in a separate labelled container and use them as starter crystals for future pracs. If the copper sulfate has been contaminated with something else then you could just evaporate to a solid and store for an eventual waste chemical pickup.
One thing that I do not do is ask teachers for advice in chemical disposal as I don't believe many of them have the expertise to advise in this area. Hopefully Science Assist will be able to provide direction for these kind of problems that we all encounter.
lada

Post by lada »

In our organic pracs, teacher uses micro test tubes and the small amount of waste I put in fume cupboard to evaporate.
If the waste is large and over the year or two it accumulates, I use toxfree to collect our waste.
I re use as much as I can of Cu So4 to grow crystals in yr7, or re use crystals to make up solution not too critical about molarity (generally juniors)
Lada
lada

Post by lada »

And, ASK whenever you are unsure. There is always someone here that will have an answer
shaz.H
Job Title: jack of all trades
School: Thomas Hassall Anglican Coleege
Suburb: Middleton Grange

Post by shaz.H »

Hello Amanda,
The replies that you have are all great and I would encourage you to get to know your appendix E-Disposal of waste chemicals and appendix F-Chemicals to be used with caution ,of the Chemical Safety in Schools (CSIS )package. This was of great help to me when i first started, once I got to know the chemicals and the pracs I made notes of what was organic/inorganic and what quantities you could evaporate off etc. Of course be aware of any updated chemical classifications. I just invested some time reading and making notes.You are not alone :grin:
thanks
shaz
dss8386
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St. Augustines College
Suburb: Cairns
State/Location: QLD

Post by dss8386 »

I have attached a disposal list that I follow. It probably needs updating but its a good guide.

Also in regards to copper sulphate, store in glass container with steel wool. I'm not entirely sure about this process but apparently the steel wool removes whatever is toxic to marine life and then can be washed down sink with water....if anyone knows more I would be interested if this is correct.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AmandaDLG
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Merrylands High School
Suburb: Merrylands

Post by AmandaDLG »

Thanks for your help everyone :)

Im very glad I have found out about this website.

WOW!! Thanks Dave - much appreciated :)
Amanda :coffee: