preserved specimens

and any other non-chem subjects.
lada
State/Location: NSW

preserved specimens

Post by lada »

We are being promised new labs and I was asked to start on "wish list"
One would be replace all specimens in biology lab. It is time for new ones.
I looked at Southern biological and they have specimens in jars preserved in alcohol. It would be very expensive to ship it with jars and alcohol. How do you get new specimens? I have seen some on their web page" preserved " or "preserved in formalin". I guess I would than put them in jars myself? :-? :unsure:
Lada :coffee:
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Re: preserved specimens

Post by J »

I really want to get rid of all of ours! I hate them, they are old and take up space in storage, and we never use them. Unfortunately most are not labelled with what they contain. Any that I made myself are done with 50% metho solution and labelled accordingly, but the older ones are probably formaldehyde.
Any suggestions on the best method of disposal? [-o<
J
lada

Post by lada »

Julie,
I emptied the jars of formaldehyde into "organic waste bottle" for collection later and replaced it with 60-70% methylated spirits or ethanol (not methyl alcohol) . Specimens still look daggy but at least they are not in formaldehyde. I just want to replace them with new ones.
Lada
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Thanks for that, but we have a huge number of these disgusting, decaying things that I really do NOT want to open!! Most have been here much longer than my nearly 20 years so their contents are often unidentifiable. :redcard: :redcard:
lada

Post by lada »

Interesting.
I had a couple of those with no preserving fluid left, so they went to normal garbage, it is the ones with the fluid in them that are the problem.
I will have same problem if or when I get go ahead with new lot.
L