Agar Blocks

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
Wombat
State/Location: NSW

Agar Blocks

Post by Wombat »

Does anyone know of a supplier of moulds for making 1cm and 2cm cube shaped blocks of agar? Ice block moulds might be OK but the sides must be straight (most are sloping). Presently, I am casting 1cm and 2cm slabs, placing them on a grid mat and then cutting with a metal rule and a scalpel blade. A wire cutter as in an egg slicer may be suitable, but it seems like a lot of trouble to make a satisfactory cutter.
Wombat
Steph

Post by Steph »

This may not be much help, but I also cast 1cm & 2ccm slabs and that's where my part ends. The students are armed with rulers & safety razor blades so they can cut their cubes themselves. It certainly saves me tearing my hair out.
JudyM

Agar blocks

Post by JudyM »

I make a large container & the students are expected to measure & cut them themselves. A straight edge works well, we use the spatulas that have a wooden handle, they seem a bit easier to handle than razor blades.
juliem

Agar blocks

Post by juliem »

Leave it to the students to cut to size, it is a skill and they could use a cake cutting method - use cotton thread held taught and this acts as a knife slicing easily through the gell
cheltie

Post by cheltie »

I use the unitrays that you use for storing dropper bottles for making the agar cubes. Just fill the tray to the depth required. The teachers have been very happy with this.
Helen
lada

Post by lada »

Give it to students. Use large spatulas with wooden handles and if the cube is not perfect, they can re-do it. Much less time wasting for you. Lada
General
State/Location: TAS

agar blocks

Post by General »

The teachers here want the students to cut their own 1cm and 2cm blocks so I only have to make a large block. Check with your teachers, they may think it a good idea.