for anything else that doesn't fit.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Bioeyes

Post by mtg »

We are trialling a Veski program and they are coming to our school on Monday to set up "Bioeyes". These are wee fish (I think). Males and Females are put together on Monday, the kids sort viable eggs Tuesday, on Friday they observe wee baby fish. I think! Has anyone else done this? if so, what hints can you give me? I have never heard of them before. The Veski people are great but I'd like to be as prepared as possible.
mtg

Re: Bioeyes

Post by mtg »

I recommend this experiment. We put a male and a female zebrafish together on Momday. On Tuesday the female laid eggs and the male fertilised them. We collected the viable eggs (mine made about 300!) and then we observed the cell division of the embryos. Every 15 mins the cell divides. Now Friday we can see the heart beating and blood going thru' the capillaries. Very interesting. But we cant keep them.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Post by Labbie »

WOW we need photos please.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
mtg

Post by mtg »

Mine were put under a time lapse microscope so we've got those photos, but as they were not on the little heat mats they perished after 3 days. At the moment the yr8's are looking at theirs and we can watch the heart beating and the blood circulating. It's really awesome. I'll see if I can get my teacher to load some photos up for you. But you can google bioeyes at Monash uni, I just asked the teacher who is presenting this program for us.
mtg

Post by mtg »

So I just did a search and found zebrafish embryonic development, I'm told U-tube has stuff too, but I cant do that from my school laptop.
tigger
Job Title: Lab tech
State/Location: ACT

Post by tigger »

Is this program available in other states or just Victoria?
Tigger