Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty
State/Location: NSW

New Science Lab?

Post by Ian »

Hi all,

We have just had the Head Master and the Architect wandering through the Science dept in preperation for designing a couple of new (and refurbishing the 2 older) Science labs. They actually asked one of the teaching staff for input (!!!!!!!) and suggested sending her around to some other schools to gather ideas! (.....but Architects NEVER ask for input from the people who know what they need!)

So, my question for you guys is, what should we ask for?

I remember that a year or two back, there were some pretty spectacular photos from a College in Tassie. Can anybody recall what college that was?

Any other ideas as to what works well for classrooms, prep rooms and store rooms, etc?

All input (and Photo's) appreciated!

Ian
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Re: New Science Lab?

Post by rae »

Hi Ian,

The place was Mentone Grammar, we all wanted to go and work there! LOL!

http://mentonegrammar.net/gallery/facilities
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

So you'll be getting a new prep room? Hope they listen to you so you get what you need. Make sure there is plenty of storage.
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Prep Room notes
Positives:
I have both a compactus and two Gratnells systems, with 3 trolleys to match, which I love love love :wub:
I have two cupboard/workbench stations which are 2 cupboards (back to back) wide, and three double cupboards long, with smaller cupboards above, suspended from the ceiling, or so it appears. This gives me lots of storage area and lots of surface area, which of course I have covered up with STUFF, and periodically get back to clean surfaces. But, I do like it. :thumbup:
Negatives:
Somewhere out there in an alternative universe, someone decided that what I needed in a prep room was two side-by-side porcelain sinks, that have a 3cm gap between them, with NO draining board, and high U-shaped tap. Oh and no draining pegs either. SO...I had to buy Draining peg systems, that have little bits of irrigation tubing that lead back to my sinks;I have attached a piece of bunsen hosing to the tap so that water can run in my sink without the cascading effect AND I get to choose which sink the water runs in to; I bought a camping and caravanning type draining rack with attached tray underneath (that certainly added to the classy look of my new lab); and worst of all, I have a car wash sponge which lives in the 3cm gap between sinks, as I regularly get spills because a small, deep, square sink is hard to work in. :-(
Magically, somewhere in the planning, the word "Chemical" was removed from the front of the phrase "Chemical Store Room", so I was handed a fairly inadequate store room. SO...I made them buy me all new cabinets - 3 in all - for my Oxidisers, Flammable liquids, and Corrosives, so that was almost a win really! :w00t:

Conclusions: Ask for Gratnells, & their trolleys, specialized cabinets, and avoid the trap of modern-looking but completely inadequate sinks. Insist on proper and compliant storage. :thumbup:
Cheers, K 8-)
smeee
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: LaSalle Catholic College
Suburb: Bankstown

Post by smeee »

The architects ignored my "common sense" ideas thinking that they know best ! :-(
So - I have a normal sized double kitchen sink with kitchen tap - its really good for washing out large measuring cylinders, burettes, pipettes etc ( am I too cynical ?? ) :cheesy:
I have a compactus that was put in back to front and not to the ceiling as requested.
The sink is in front of a window so I have nowhere to drain beakers etc but I do have a dishwasher so that's a bonus.
Safety shower is about 10 feet away from drain. 8O
On the positive side I have plenty of cupboard and drawer space with storage shelves.
There are no chairs in the lab as there are break out classrooms so the students just come into labs to do pracs then back to classroom.
The benches are moveable and can be configured different ways - especially good in prac exams.
I would dearly love to have a face-to-face with science area architects and put them straight on a few issues. =D>
lab 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lab-woman

Post by lab-woman »

I am also looking forward to a couple of new science labs - one day.

One problem that another local school found when they received their new labs - NO TEACHERS BENCH / Or DEMO BENCH.

That is something they were NOT happy about.

Lab-woman
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

I'll try and get some photos up next week. My area was rebuilt last year. The HOD, myself , the Principal, Physics (and IT) teacher (whose wife is an architect) and the architect, all had heaps of input. We wrote the list of requirements and most of these were met. We have ended up with a fab area for under $400,000. We really thought outside the square, and literally measured up and put tape on the floor to test the space for our new student prac benches etc. Due to space restrictions the fume hood is a bit behind the prac teacher-bench, so we have a hub with sink and gas etc, and rest of the bench can be rolled out of the way! We had a purpose built high shelf for the air track. We made the builders shift a row of cupboards across a bit so there was room on the bench for the incubator...And instead of open plan we insisted on huge glass sliding doors so we can close rooms off, or not! So point is we were totally hands on and got what we wanted. I did supply the workers with hot fresh choc chip muffins most days tho'. (And they put all the old hard wood studs etc to one side for me to take home as well!).
lada

Post by lada »

We are having our 6 labs refurbished over next xmas break. All teachers would like stainless steal sinks. Any pros or cons??
Thanks
Lada
dss8386
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St. Augustines College
Suburb: Cairns

Post by dss8386 »

We are getting new labs next year. My boss has tried to put as much imput as possible but we both have resigned to the fact that there will be problems. every time they have asked for imput, they do the complete opposite because its not pretty enough.

it has taken nearly 8 years for it to finally happen. my boss is well and truly over it, I guess that's why he will not be HOD next year!

We had one lab refurb a couple years ago and they made a mess of it. I hate it. Safety shower was put right next to the computer with no drain....got rid of all display cabinets....they now have lovely science photos on canvas now....no education purpose at all. No room for posters.

I still have no idea what's happening with the next labs. At one stage they wanted to put carpet in the labs....I said no way!!! and to top it off, the architects didn't even come and have a look at the preproom or labs to see what we have...they didn't even think that we need a space for the fridge...Hello!! mind you they are based across the road.

I would avoid stainless steel like the plague. We have old stainless steel sinks in the old labs and they look horrible. Stainless steel don't like chemicals. Ceramic is the way to go.

Dave
lada

Post by lada »

Thanks David,
that is was we were hoping for, but stainless steel "looks so much better". Yah, while is new. I have an old sink and its rusting due to kids dropping bits of metals in it.
Will push for ceramic
smiley

Post by smiley »

Definitely agree with David. We have lovely new labs and nowhere to hang posters. All sleek lines and no concept that these are supposed to be learning environments.
Cheers, K 8-)
MariaC
School: Central Coast Grammar School
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by MariaC »

:giggle: Hi ours were done about two years ago, the things that work well are: burette sink in second prep room to soak and wash burettes, love it! glass splash backs in labs around work stations, students can write up notes, data as they are doing an experiment, the students love it!My storage is great, empty cupboards everywhere! Dont get plastic drainage racks, the architect put in these crap plastic ones with a drainage tray at the bottom, the pegs come off with the test tubes when you remove them!! :crazy: Also our school went for energy saving, so the prep rooms are on auto sensor, no switch at all, this is VERY annoying if teacher needs a darkened room and the light from the prep room cant be turned off and its shining through the two way fume cupboard!

Mostly I love my new labs :wub: MariaC
dss8386
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St. Augustines College
Suburb: Cairns

Post by dss8386 »

Hi All,

The only downfall for ceramic is if you drop a weight or something heavy, they can crack and are very expensive to replace. Stainless Steel looks a lot nicer however after years old chemicals/ acid etc going down the sink, its rusts and looks terrible, but at least they are cheap to replace in comparison.

I am just annoyed at the architects, they have no idea what equipment we have to store or the practicality of the labs. Their main concern is to make it look all nice and pretty and have no idea what works and what doesn't. time will only tell.

however I have never been in a lab that is perfect. I guess it our job to iron out all the problems.

Dave