melting of lead

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
Rita
State/Location: NSW

melting of lead

Post by Rita »

I was just asked by a teacher with a Yr7 student in tow if we could melt down some lead with a bunsen? If not, what metal could we melt down? (Apparently boy's father has equipment to make his own sinkers.)
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Re: melting of lead

Post by smiley »

Short answer (impolite) - "Hell no!"
Slightly longer answer (polite) - "well....no you may not."
Explanation: What folks do on their own time in their own airspace is NOT your business, but no-one may create lead vapour in your airspace and on your time BECAUSE it's not allowed any more. (Hence the removal of the classic Red Lead reduction experiment).

It's rather like an extension of the No Hat, No Play rule. Kids can get skin cancer on their own time, but no school wants to be sued for adding to the UV load a child receives. Similarly, we don't have much left that is carcinogenic in schools. Folks can expose themselves to whatever outside of school hours.
Cheers, K 8-)
Graham Kemp
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St John's School
Suburb: Roma

Post by Graham Kemp »

Indeed. A lot of really cool experiments aren't allowed anymore just because they will slowly kill you; a little bit at a time.
bindi

Post by bindi »

Hi
Lead needs high temperatures to melt. My father used solider to make sinkers (what plumber use).
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

" BECAUSE it's not allowed any more"

where did you get information from?
Cheers Jazz
smiley

Post by smiley »

Hey Jazz,

It took me a while to track down chapter and verse, but here it is:

The National Standard for Control of Inorganic Lead at Work refers to "melting lead at less than 450 degrees" in Schedule II, and in 12.1 "any work that exposes a person to lead fumes" it say "the employer shall ensure that this exposure is prevented".

Qld Ed has also released a Safety Alert statement again with reference to "Lead Processes", with specific references to "Females with a reproductive capacity" which of course is all of my school! And it recommends replacing lead with Tin or silver solder.

So that one National Standard, and one QLD standard. Therefore I have compiled all of that into a "Hell No" response.
Cheers, K 8-)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Thank you,
Cheers Jazz