what couldn't you do without

for anything else that doesn't fit.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader
State/Location: NSW

Re: what couldn't you do without

Post by macca »

I just walked into an empty lab to turn the lights off, and a Yr10 girl jumped through the window. I was told to! "what jump through the bloody window" by the time I crabbed the HT they'd gone and crabbed the relief teacher you guessed it from yesterday.

It sound like we could all do with a big night out!!!!! :party:

I think half my post should be on the other page, "Whinge" :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

what i couldn't do with out?
Sick leave LOL

Just had 3 days out of here.
But what i could do without is the sour milk that I came back to on the bench....

* dishwasher
* radio
* trolleys
* balloons - how many do you go thru????
* random ice cream containers and yoghurt container...!!
Krysia Lee
Job Title: Labbie
School: Brigidine College
Suburb: St Ives

Post by Krysia Lee »

Single Malt whiskey
G &T
red wine
white wine
and a good night out :)
bindibadgi
Suburb: Kensington Park
State/Location: SA

Post by bindibadgi »

Post-it notes
Double sided tape
Pyroneg

Coffee!! :coffee:

Goliath stick insects....my very first 2 babies have hatched, 1 week & 3 weeks old :wub:
Hoping for a bunch more & some Spinys as well.
bindibadgi
ellice
Job Title: Lab technician
School: The Illawarra Grammar School
Suburb: Figtree

Post by ellice »

A good relationship with the Property guys and the IT dept! A tin of biscuits at Xmas helps!
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Don't forget the printer to go with your computer. Absolutely necessary for those SDS's you need to print so your chemical register etc is up to date. Lots of folders and plastic sheet protectors to keep those SDS's neat and tidy in their folders. A labelmaker is also useful for all those labels you are going to have to make so you remember where everything is. Don't forget the cartridges that go with the labelmaker. They are going to be the most expensive item. Get lots.

Lyn.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

Getting a big sink, and smaller one and dishwasher (already in the plans), new fumehood that serves both prep and class room (the old one was down the back of a classroom), sep chem store room (at last, whoopee), sep equipment storage with compactus(this room is probably a bit small tho') and I just went up with choc chip muffins for the builders and saw the lovely apple green doors in my prep room and also saloon swinging doors!!! to take up less space. There's also 2 adjoining rooms being refurbed with big glass sliding doors so we can open or close up this space. All on $333,000 grant!!!!! After 25 years of making do I'm pretty excited. Altho' I'm not allowed a snake in our new "living display" will have to investigate stick insects. Thankyou all for your continuing suggestions. PS gave up alcohol when I realised it was a class 1 carcinogen!(wowser)
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

It is also anaesthetic, for when mongrels get you down!
lada

Post by lada »

And must release some endorphins or orphans or something, because it makes you feel soooo good, I am not an alcoholic, I am not an alcoholic..
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Me neither, I don't have to have it, I choose to have it!
mtg

Post by mtg »

Ok, so I've got a '"beer" fridge just in case you all visit!!! And a separate one for guts. Now let's focus children, focus......
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

How far away are you again! :crazy:
lada

Post by lada »

If its more than 20min away, it is too far!!!!
judimas
State/Location: NZ

Post by judimas »

What on earth was posted on this thread yesterday that made the schools web marshall lock me out of pg 2????
I can't be doing without knowing everything!
Judith
lada

Post by lada »

Absolutely. That is just not on.
Lada
mtg

Post by mtg »

Will the stock the fridge and await guests. In the meantime what's a pyroneg?. And what's the story on stick insects? Can I bond with them? Are they resilient? As I'm not allowed to get a snake, managed to kill all the fish when I first started, many years later-lose the yabbies (they escaped from the fish tank and hid behind the fridge), my pet mice went feral, the budgie (which landed on a tall kid at the bus loop and thus made its way to science ) disrupted every class with loud and tuneful song and ended up free range in my house, and the sheep kept taking off across the paddock....I would like a less troublesome live display. Thinking of geckoes or stick insects. What think you all?
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

Pyroneg is a specially formulated powder designed for cleaning glassware.
I have used it in the past and it works very well.
I now use napisan which also works very well and is cheaper and easier to obtain.
bindibadgi
Suburb: Kensington Park
State/Location: SA

Post by bindibadgi »

Pyroneg is a powder (you can also get it in liquid form) for cleaning lab equipment, surgical instruments etc.
It's great for cleaning glassware, especially good at getting stubborn stains & greasy/oily/biological goo off. Soak your dirty glassware in warm water with a spoon of pyroneg sprinkled in for a couple of hours/overnight, then scrub away.

As for stick insects.....GET SOME!!! :thumbup:
They are fabulous animals to have in the labs, super easy to look after & feed, & the kids love it when I get them out & let them climb up their arms.
I've got Goliaths, which are just beautiful, & you do bond with them & get to know their habits & quirks. I've currently got 2 old girls still going, at nearly 2 years old now, & also 2 babies, 3 weeks & 1 week old! I'm hoping to hatch a few more plus some Spinys as well.
I can't recommend them highly enough, I never thought I'd love an insect, but I adore my stickies. :wub:
Goliaths.jpg
Goliath nymph.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bindibadgi
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I love my stick insects also - they respond to sound - so every morning I say "Good Morning" to them when I arrive, and by the time I switch lights and computer on, the Wuefling female and Goliath female have made their way to the wired waiting! BECAUSE I then spray them with a fine mist of water and they drink the droplets right off the wire.. now who trained who? The spiny leaf ones I think are more docile - mine will sit on my shoulders while I work at computer .. the trouble is when I rush out to do something in another location and forget.. then they hitch a lift there and back!
They get to KNOW you - when I put my hand in the calmly allow me to pick them off the leaves - but if someone else does it they grab onto every leaf and branch around to try to avoid being handled.
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

If you love reptiles how about bearded dragons? Or maybe a bluetongue? Very friendly, and hard to kill...