Iron wire.

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
judygee
State/Location: NSW

Iron wire.

Post by judygee »

Hi guys, just new to the website and already I have a couple of interesting tips that will be most helpful. Thanks a lot. I would like to know were to purchase analytical grade iron wire (specially made for use in the standardisation of KMnO4 solution). In the experiment - Comparison of Corrosion of pure iron and mild steel, pure iron must be used!! I am Lab Asst at an independent school in the central west of NSW so would probably need to make the purchase from Sydney. Any suggestions. Looking forward to your reply. Judy.
Robb

Chem Suppliers for High Purity Iron Wire

Post by Robb »

Hi judygee,

Australian Scientific will be able to track some Iron Wire down for you. Chem-Supply has Iron Wire but I'm not sure of its purity, but here is the product code for this: IT015-25G.

Keep in mind that the higher you go in purity for such products like Iron there may be a high price-tag involved.

Keep this in a desiccator when you purchase this or else the high purity Iron will rust/oxidise very quickly defeating the whole purpose of purity and price.

Australian Scientific will be able to source the Wire for you including the Chem-Supply brand. The toll free number is 1800 021 083.

Just notify them of the purity and go from there.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Robb on 20 Jun 2006, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
judygee

Iron Wire.

Post by judygee »

Many thanks Rob, code number and phone number have been noted I have spoken with Australian Scientific and I will order before we do the prac again next year. Once again many thanks
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo

Use Nails instead !!

Post by Mother »

Hello there
I use galvanised nails and the students clean the coating off with sandpaper.