GHS labels

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
CC
Job Title: Labbie
School: Goulburn High School
Suburb: Goulburn
State/Location: NSW

Re: GHS labels

Post by CC »

Thanks Rosalie I was starting to panic, wondering where all these schools were getting there information and wondering why hadn't received anything, but if it hasn't been released through official channels I don't need to worry yet.
lada

Post by lada »

I am with cc.
We will be inspected next year and I heard nothing of any changes. If I have to re-label ALL of my botles and reagent jars, it will be a long job.
RAs are all done from chemgold3 as is all labelling. There is difference between GHS labels and the hazardous I use.

When did this new legislation come in?
Confused,
Lada
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

1 Jan 2012, see your principal, they all did the training last year. Our Principal told us to start GHS labels and we would have about 5 years in which to complete it. Their was no written letter from him, just word of mouth so to speak. Yes it is a long long long job, still have not even done the main prep room.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

That is so interesting. We are an independent school and I have heard nothing regarding this except what I have read here and then researched myself. Asked the head teacher last year, he had heard nothing!!
lada

Post by lada »

Agreed, Lorrae.
I am at an independent school and went to AIS OHS management systems training last March (2012) and all we did was chemgold3 as far as labelling,RA and MSDS.Nobody told us about the changes.
Lada
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Come to the ASET Conference in Newcastle on Monday 6th May and you will learn all about it! the information is on this site
rae

Post by rae »

Yeh that would be great! Its just so far. I've been trying to work out how to get there. It would be great if there was one further south.
rae

Post by rae »

I also think its more the fact that there has been no official notice to independent schools. At least it sounds like the public school principals have had some information.
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

I've been putting off applying to go to this training, but decided today to take the step. I doubt they'll say no, even though nobody seems to know what I'm talking about. :crazy: When they do the research they'll figure out that something needs to be done! :redcard:
J
rae

Post by rae »

How long does it take to get there from Dorrigo?
J

Post by J »

Not sure to be honest. They're always upgrading the Pacific Highway and it depends on whether you get to drive on a newly completed section :coffee: or a few kms of road construction. :crazy:
Around 3-4 hours I expect. But Hubby and I might make a long weekend of it. :wink2:
J
rae

Post by rae »

Yeh Thats what I was thinking! Its about 2.5 - 3 hours from here depending on Sydney traffic. He has a conference in Terrigal starting Monday night. Still trying to figure!
J

Post by J »

Mine doesn't know about it yet. Will put it to him tonight. He works for himself and is usually reluctant to take time off and then have to catch up, but sometimes he surprises me and he could do with a break. :console: :rolleyes:
J
ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale

Post by ELIZABETH »

Question to anyone who lives in the Fassifern neck of the woods.....where's a good place to stay nearby? Google searches have been a bit inconclusive.
Cheers
Liz
Linda26
Job Title: Library/Science Assistant
School: Heritage Christian School
Suburb: Port Macquarie

Post by Linda26 »

does anybody know if the user codes (coloured dots) for the school labs have changed at all? I am slowly changing the labels as needed & wondered if the user codes have changed.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

As far as I know, the user dots have NOT changed.
Regards Labbie

sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

There are a few places you can stay - in Toronto there is the 74 Victory Pde, Toronto NSW (02) 4959 1033.
There is The Brighton
157 Brighton Ave, Toronto NSW 2283
(02) 4935 8888 ‎ · thebrighton.com.au
Toronto Catalina Motel
211 Awaba Rd, Toronto NSW 2283
(02) 4959 4833 ‎ · torontomotel.com.au
and there is a little further from Fassifern
Club Macquarie
458 Lake Rd, Argenton NSW 2284
(02) 4958 7033 ‎ · clubmacquarie.com.au
Pippis At The Point Hotel
Cnr The Esplanade & Main Rd, Speers Point NSW 2284
(02) 4958 1022 ‎ · pippis.com.au
ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale

Post by ELIZABETH »

Thanks Sunray!
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

The following advice has been given to DEC teachers regarding the new rules for WHS legislation

The department will commence reviewing Chemical Safety in Schools (CSIS) during 2012, with the support of independent chemical safety advice, to ensure compliance with the new Work Health and Safety legislation and Workcover NSW requirements. CSIS is being revised and amendments will occur online during 2013. It is unlikely there will be major changes to the range of chemicals in CSIS, or the usage advice requirements for specific chemicals. Schools must continue to implement the DETRA protocol when using chemical substances in all DEC workplaces.

Please note: the transition period for the labelling of chemicals is 5 years, with a compliance date of 1 January 2017.

In the meantime, CSIS is to be implemented as issued, with the exception of existing advice regarding Dangerous Goods licensing (Section 1.3.3) where Workcover licenses are no longer required. The current Workcover requirements are for Dangerous Goods Notifications, where there are large (manifest) quantities of dangerous goods on a school site. This should only impact on schools with LPG tanks, with a capacity of 5000 Litres or more (which are managed centrally by state office) and where there are large quantities of flammable liquids.

Schools with manifest quantities of flammable liquids will be requested to comply with the generous provisions of the legislation. Most flammable liquids in schools are Packing Group – Category 2, including petrol and alcohols, with a manifest quantity of 2,500 Litres. The manifest quantity for diesel is 10,000 Litres. Where schools exceed these quantities they are requested to advise the Compliance Unit by emailing compliance@det.nsw.edu.au or phoning Amelia Tsang, Compliance and Safety Officer on (02) 9561 8969. No other action regarding Dangerous Goods is required at this time.

I have highlighted the compliance date which is 2017. The review of chemicals is going on this year.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Jane West

Science Advisor 7-12

Learning and Leadership-Secondary Education

NSW Department of Education and Communities

Level 3, 1 Oxford Street

Darlinghurst, NSW 1300.

T: 92445432

jane.m.west@det.nsw.edu.au
Regards Labbie

Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Can any one please tell me if the GHS Labels the diamond part MUST it be in colour, or is black & White OK? Can any one know of a cheaper supplier then westlab at 16.60 per 250 sheet? Some places are really putting their prices up to about $39.95 which is too dear.
Regards Labbie